Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,086   Online: 1228

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I pushed the button on 75 rolls (plus Reala and 4x5 Astia) when I got the email this morning. $400 to Fuji today

I just wish that Acros wasn't The Most Expensive B&W Sheet Film Ever or I'd load up on that too.
    Last edited by polyglot; 05-22-2012 at 01:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    I pushed the button on 75 rolls (plus Reala and 4x5 Astia) when I got the email this morning. $400 to Fuji today

I just wish that Acros wasn't The Most Expensive B&W Sheet Film Ever or I'd load up on that too.
    And what's up with that anyway? It's cheaper than almost any other film in 120. The only thing I know of less expensive is Freestyle Arista branded Foma. Yet Acros is one of the most expensive sheet films. It's $2 a sheet from Freestyle, granted usually expensive for film, but it's very nearly as much from B&H ($35.50/20 sheets - almost as much as Velvia at $42.95.) The only black and white sheet film I can even find that costs more than Acros is IR, and that not by much.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    And what's up with that anyway? It's cheaper than almost any other film in 120. The only thing I know of less expensive is Freestyle Arista branded Foma. Yet Acros is one of the most expensive sheet films. It's $2 a sheet from Freestyle, granted usually expensive for film, but it's very nearly as much from B&H ($35.50/20 sheets - almost as much as Velvia at $42.95.) The only black and white sheet film I can even find that costs more than Acros is IR, and that not by much.
    Yeah, it's odd and frustrating. I suspect that small batch sizes (different base thickness) might be to blame - for some reason they have an efficiency with the 120 film that doesn't translate to the same emulsions in LF. You have no idea how much I want to buy Reala in 4x5.

IR820 is under $1/sheet therefore far cheaper than Acros. Even FP4 is still $1/sheet; if Acros could match that then I'd buy up on it instead of Fomapan but at $1.77 they're not selling me any.

And hey, if there are any manufacturers reading this thread, quit it with the bullshit 10-20 sheet packs, or at least make 100's an OPTION for the market and give a decent discount. I don't want to pay for cardboard, I want to pay for film!

And wtf is with all C41 in LF costing stupid money now? I can buy and develop Velvia or Astia for less than I can buy Ektar or god forbid, Portra.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tell me about it, I am trying to create a budget for 1,000 sheets of a solid performing 100 speed 4x5 film for this year and as much as people rave about Acros in that format, $1.77 a sheet is a good bit more than TMX at $1.60 and way more than Delta 100 at $1.04....

Decisions, decisions...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, it's odd and frustrating. I suspect that small batch sizes (different base thickness) might be to blame - for some reason they have an efficiency with the 120 film that doesn't translate to the same emulsions in LF. You have no idea how much I want to buy Reala in 4x5.

IR820 is under $1/sheet therefore far cheaper than Acros. Even FP4 is still $1/sheet; if Acros could match that then I'd buy up on it instead of Fomapan but at $1.77 they're not selling me any.

And hey, if there are any manufacturers reading this thread, quit it with the bullshit 10-20 sheet packs, or at least make 100's an OPTION for the market and give a decent discount. I don't want to pay for cardboard, I want to pay for film!

And wtf is with all C41 in LF costing stupid money now? I can buy and develop Velvia or Astia for less than I can buy Ektar or god forbid, Portra.
    IR820 is not as bad but the Aura version is over $4 a sheet. That was my comparison for saying the only B&W film I could find that cost more was infrared:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...IR820_4_x.html

For that matter even the non-Aura is over $2 a sheet at B&H. I didn't shop the whole 'net for the best price around:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...x_5_IR820.html

As for what's up with LF C-41, in one word, Kodak. If we could get Fuji C41 in sheets in the US it would probably be more in line with E6. Kodak prices have gone up to silly levels with the bankruptcy, like the kid trying to charge $500 for a glass of lemonade who knows he won't get many customers but figures he only needs one. I've been of the shrug it off mentality for most film price increases in 35mm and 120 especially because I have little enough time to shoot and work in the darkroom that expense isn't a big concern at this point - I just don't have time to challenge my budget that much even at today's prices. I'll still buy 35mm and 120 Tri-X. Heck, I buy 120 Delta 3200 and that isn't cheap either. But in 4x5 they've gotten so silly I'm about to dismiss my love affair with TMY-2 and just go to HP5+. I got into LF after TMX/TMY came out and sad to say never shot TXP. I'd like to get a box to try while I can, but I'm kind of afraid I'd like it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well this 120 Acros thread changed fast! :-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Well this 120 Acros thread changed fast! :-)
    Normal thread creep. In fact among the forums I visit this thread is, comparitively, still on topic. The scarcity was revealed as most likely the result of hoarding as further supplies became available, links were posted to in stock 120 at good prices, and the original issue substantially resolved. Discussion then turned to Acros more generally and some of us who shoot LF got to complaining and asking why TF it is so much more expensive than other film in sheets when it's among the cheapest in 120.

Sounds on-topic enough to me.

Besides, a foolish adherence to narrowly interpreted notions of thread topic is a hobgoblin of little minds, to paraphrase Emerson.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For that matter even the non-Aura is over $2 a sheet at B&H. I didn't shop the whole 'net for the best price around:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...x_5_IR820.html
    I was going to say "Freestyle" but they just doubled (!) their price. It was $45/50 a month ago and now it's $54/25. Glad I bought 4 boxes last year.

As for what's up with LF C-41, in one word, Kodak.
    Fuji 160NS... GBP70 for 20 sheets vs GBP60 for RDP at the same store. If Fuji would sell it in the US, I could probably get it for $40/box from B&H and be happy, but no. Maybe I should just shoot 6x12 colour.

If we could get Fuji C41 in sheets in the US it would probably be more in line with E6. Kodak prices have gone up to silly levels with the bankruptcy, like the kid trying to charge $500 for a glass of lemonade who knows he won't get many customers but figures he only needs one. I've been of the shrug it off mentality for most film price increases in 35mm and 120 especially because I have little enough time to shoot and work in the darkroom that expense isn't a big concern at this point - I just don't have time to challenge my budget that much even at today's prices. I'll still buy 35mm and 120 Tri-X. Heck, I buy 120 Delta 3200 and that isn't cheap either. But in 4x5 they've gotten so silly I'm about to dismiss my love affair with TMY-2 and just go to HP5+. I got into LF after TMX/TMY came out and sad to say never shot TXP. I'd like to get a box to try while I can, but I'm kind of afraid I'd like it.
    Indeed. I have a box of TMY2 (got in at $60/January) but it'll probably be my last since the cheaper options are much more viable in LF. I'd prefer to shoot TMY+Acros but not at 2.5x the price.

When do we get Pan-F or Delta-400 in 4x5, eh? I love Pan-F in 6x7 and have been substituting it for Efke-25 in 4x5 and I'm sure D400 would make a great TMY replacement in 4x5.
    Last edited by polyglot; 05-22-2012 at 07:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Normal thread creep. In fact among the forums I visit this thread is, comparitively, still on topic. The scarcity was revealed as most likely the result of hoarding as further supplies became available, links were posted to in stock 120 at good prices, and the original issue substantially resolved. Discussion then turned to Acros more generally and some of us who shoot LF got to complaining and asking why TF it is so much more expensive than other film in sheets when it's among the cheapest in 120.

Sounds on-topic enough to me.

Besides, a foolish adherence to narrowly interpreted notions of thread topic is a hobgoblin of little minds, to paraphrase Emerson.
    Was not complaining just observing...
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was going to say "Freestyle" but they just doubled (!) their price. It was $45/50 a month ago and now it's $54/25. Glad I bought 4 boxes last year.

Fuji 160NS... GBP70 for 20 sheets vs GBP60 for RDP at the same store. If Fuji would sell it in the US, I could probably get it for $40/box from B&H and be happy, but no. Maybe I should just shoot 6x12 colour.

Indeed. I have a box of TMY2 (got in at $60/January) but it'll probably be my last since the cheaper options are much more viable in LF. I'd prefer to shoot TMY+Acros but not at 2.5x the price.

When do we get Pan-F or Delta-400 in 4x5, eh? I love Pan-F in 6x7 and have been substituting it for Efke-25 in 4x5 and I'm sure D400 would make a great TMY replacement in 4x5.
    I have an almost full box of 100 sheets of 4x5 Delta 400 in the freezer. I did shoot a few sheets back in the 90s when it was available. In spite of warnings about freezing film after opening (which I hadn't read at the time) I've done this successfully before. I need to try it and see how it does. I like TMY-2 slightly better but the differences are mainly in grain and I don't care about that in 4x5. If I could get Delta 400 at HP5+ price I'd dump TMY-2. For that matter and while we're wishing, I'll wish yet again for XP2 Super in 4x5.

I do pretty much exactly that for color - I shoot 120 in a 6x7 rollfilm back on my Linhof. The biggest problem with that is my shortest lens is a 90 so I'm limited to normal or longer. If I need wide, I have to shoot sheets (or get a shorter lens, but with the Tech III that might become problematic too.)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin