Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,563   Posts: 1,545,300   Online: 797

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fuji isn't the only company raising their prices.

Kodak roll film has gotten quite a bit more expensive too, while Ilford seem to be holding their prices for now.

Comparatively, Acros still seems like a great deal in rolls. For sheets, well - I think the sheet film is imported via different channels than the roll films, which is what's causing the pricing disparity. Fuji also makes black and white photo papers that we never see in the States, and chemistry. There's an online business that sells them as direct export to customers, but I think their prices are close to ridiculous.

Carry on.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Fuji isn't the only company raising their prices.

Kodak roll film has gotten quite a bit more expensive too, while Ilford seem to be holding their prices for now.
    Both Fuji and Kodak are in the process of losing most of their sales of Movie print film. (Theaters no longer able to rent film prints) this means that the overhead of keeping their film coating lines going is not going to be spread over a few hundred kilometers of Movie stock, and so the other products will have to bear more of the burden. Ilford is immune as they stopped making all movie stocks when the re-organized. (and the market for B&W movie print was not all that large anyway.)
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    Both Fuji and Kodak are in the process of losing most of their sales of Movie print film. (Theaters no longer able to rent film prints) this means that the overhead of keeping their film coating lines going is not going to be spread over a few hundred kilometers of Movie stock, and so the other products will have to bear more of the burden. Ilford is immune as they stopped making all movie stocks when the re-organized. (and the market for B&W movie print was not all that large anyway.)
    Absolutely. It would be a mistake to call them immune, however, because worldwide demand for film base goes way down, and that means supply chain is likely to change too. Nobody is immune.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Absolutely. It would be a mistake to call them immune, however, because worldwide demand for film base goes way down, and that means supply chain is likely to change too. Nobody is immune.
    I would say that they are a bit removeed on that score. I am not sure where they buy their base these days, but most of the films that are of interest to APUG are on triacetate base. The Movie print stocks are on polyester base, and the two types have different means of manufacture. Hopefully Ilfords supplier also deals with other industries.

What I was trying to say is that the loss of Movie prints will not directly change what Ilford sells.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It's back in stock on B&H this morning when I got the notification.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    120 and 35mm are showing in stock at B&H today, at $3.20/roll for 120 and $4.75/roll for 135-36. I had checked just a couple of days ago and at that time everything was "temporarily unavailable", now only 4x5 has this status.

At some point my wife is going to demand back the freezer shelf I've been slowly filling with film. I hope the 20 rolls I just ordered don't push her over the edge...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    120 and 35mm are showing in stock at B&H today, at $3.20/roll for 120 and $4.75/roll for 135-36. I had checked just a couple of days ago and at that time everything was "temporarily unavailable", now only 4x5 has this status.

At some point my wife is going to demand back the freezer shelf I've been slowly filling with film. I hope the 20 rolls I just ordered don't push her over the edge...
    Put one of these somewhere in the garage or a corner of the basement:

http://tinyurl.com/minifreezers
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Put one of these somewhere in the garage or a corner of the basement:

http://tinyurl.com/minifreezers
    Already have a 14 cu. ft. +- freezer in the garage. The bottom drawer, top shelf, and now one of the middle shelves are all full of film. Quickload boxes especially take up a lot of room, and I've got about 20 boxes!

Plus I keep glycin in there, double-wrapped. It's way over a year old, still looks as new.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    Freezer shelf?? Heck, my wife sent me to Home Depot quite some time ago with strict orders to buy my own freezer!! And not to spend a bunch of money doing it either! She got really tired of spending half an hour looking for the frozen hamburger.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin