Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,608   Online: 760

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images

Diafine Price Increase

Does anybody know what's going on with the price of Acufine Diafine? I ordered 1 gallon in 2010 for $13.99. I go to order more today and see that the same product is now $41.99! A 300% increase in price!

Now that Neopan 1600 has been discontinued I don't have much use for this developer anymore, but yikes!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, I don't know what's up either but you're right. I checked my past orders at Freestyle and I bought a gallon on May 4, 2011 for $19.99. I bought another gallon later to keep in stock un mixed, just in case since the stuff last so long, just this February for $41.99 and noticed the huge jump then. Looks like it's taken another slight jump.

Given how absurdly long it lasts and how much film it will develop it's still a very cheap developer to use, but I'm spooked by this price increase too because I really like it and like to have it available. Tri-X in Diafine (now at 1000 for tungsten or 1250 for daylight - it seems modern Tri-X doesn't work as well at 1600 in it as the version I shot back in the 80s) is still my combination of choice for any time that speed is adequate, and I've also found, at the other end of the speed spectrum, that I really appreciate Pan F+ in it, at EI 64. The extra 1/3 stop isn't the draw, just where I've found it works best, but it does constrain the highlights nicely in this film that can otherwise be pretty contrasty for use in light that's bright enough for such a slow film.

I'd really hate for Diafine to go away.

I've also been bothered by the fact that a quart would do me much better than a gallon, but the sources that have quarts seem to charge as much for a quart as Freestyle does for a gallon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had noticed the same thing. Might be time to look into making our own two bath dev from scratch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe that the following formula appeared in the Dignan Newsletter many years ago.

Diafine Substitute
    ------------------

Bath A

Distilled water (50°C) 750 ml
    Sodium sulfite (anhy) 35.0 g
    Hydroquinone 6.0 g
    Phenidone 0.2 g
    Sodium bisulfite 6.0 g
    Distilled water to make 1.0 l

Bath B

Distilled water (50°C) 750 ml
    Sodium sulfite (anhy) 30.0 g
    Sodium metaborate 20.0 g
    Distilled water to make 1.0 l
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin