Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,508   Posts: 1,543,558   Online: 1048

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    I stopped in Yodobashi in Kyoto last week. The film fridge was about the size of one of those more moderate sized ones pictured. The case was not packed full, but they had plenty of stuff. I asked the lady at the counter if they are selling more or less film over the past year. She said "oh, less!"

I couldn't really communicate much further, but her statement kind of bummed me out.
    Could it be she meant "oh yes"
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Could it be she meant "oh yes"
    Yeah, might want to check with your interpreter again
    NO ONE in my immediate family knows how to use a d*****l camera. Imagine that.
    Even I use a Canon AE-1, which has no other automatic facility other than setting the aperture.
    I tried using a d*****l camera once, but the inherent properties disillusioned me from the start, not to mention the fact that most of my early d*****l images (~2006-07) are now lost forever. And the ones that survive are very blocky, with patches of colour all over the place.

Shooter
    35mm
    You might want to visit those mega stores like Yodobashi and buy some films from those fridges if you have a chance to visit Japan, but while it could be a good pace to just 'visit', never dream of 'buying' films there. I'm sure most people from overseas will be surprised to find out how expensive films are Japan ....

Be sure to bring enough films to shoot when you come ....

Luno - Kanagawa, JAPAN
    Last edited by LunoLuno; 07-19-2012 at 07:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I bought some 120 Tri-X from Bic & Yodabashi in Kyoto & Tokyo last month, and it was only slightly cheaper than Australia - I'd certainly save money on any of the film there ordering it from Freestyle... That said, the Shinjuku Yodabashi dedicated to film, with three large fridges and a lab upstairs, brought a happy tear to me eye (I made photos - will post when I'm back in Australia)...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LunoLuno View Post
    You might want to visit those mega stores like Yodobashi and buy some films from those fridges if you have a chance to visit Japan, but while it could be a good pace to just 'visit', never dream of 'buying' films there. I'm sure most people from overseas will be surprised to find out how expensive films are Japan ....

Be sure to bring enough films to shoot when you come ....

Luno - Kanagawa, JAPAN
    I feel like that's mostly true here, but it really depends on what you buy.

I cleaned the shelves the other day of Kodak TMax 100 in 120 cause it was about a buck cheaper and available now compared to ordering from BH.

However, sadly the my favorite color neg (Portra 400), I have to buy from the states.

If you didn't take into the exchange rate, most film prices would be the same. Sadly you need to add about 20 percent to your quick math.

I generally only buy film locally impulsively or if I just need it NOW.

It's great to know there are some APUGers in Japan.

ありがとう、

ジョシュ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin