Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,706   Posts: 1,482,837   Online: 1009

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Film virtually dead in Oklahoma City....now what?

Went to the Bessler store (which was Epperson Photo Video since 1972) to pick up a test roll of film from my new to me F5 today. At least one, maybe two film processing machines appear to be gone and the one last fridge with film in it only had some TMax and that was it. Heard the same "film is on order" excuse now for around 6 months.

So, now what? I know it looks like if I want Porta or any professional film at all I will have to mail order. However, as I was surfing around today here on Apug I read a thread about the price of film from awhile back and the mentioned Kodak's consumer line of film. Is it worth my time to give Kodak's regular consumer stuff a try. I must admit once I tried Porta I haven't really tried much else. Since availability would be pretty good at WalMart and certainly the price is much better......worth it? How many of you have gone this way. That Gold consumer stuff is C-41, right?

Any other options for me?

Oh, one last thing, is it best for me to mix my color (using dry stuff) and/or B&W chemicals up say a day prior to let them blend better? Got a boat load of brown chemical mixing/storage bottles while I was at the photo store so I am ready to start developing.....

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do your Walmarts sell Kodak C41 film? The ones I have visited in Washington state only have a few rolls of Fuji film.

The Kodak Gold film is quite good. It tends to have a bit higher contrast than Portra, as well as more saturated colours.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak Gold is pretty good. I shoot medium format mostly, so I don't use it often...It actually used to be available in 120 which I find quite amusing..There are many great films between the Kodak Gold, Black and White C-41 films, the Ektar, the Portra and the black and white selections from Kodak so mail order may be worth it once and a while..Kodak Color Plus is cool too.You can't quite beat the price of Kodak Gold at B&H...I have heard that it can be good to mix black and white up ahead of time but I sometimes can't wait that time if I need it. If you want to use it after you mix it and the mixing process for your chemicals requires high temperatures, be sure to let the chemicals cool before you use them....Does that shop still develop any film?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How were things at the store that Bedford bought?
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ektagraphic thank you for the film advice. I need to do some looking around at the local walmart just to see exactly what they do have. I did notice that some version of kodak consumer color was around 2 bucks a roll at B&H, so you know exactly why I asked about those films. If that Gold stuff will do me except for the times when I really want to make a statement with Porta (if that's really needed at this time for my competence), then why not. The heck with it, I am going to see just how it well it works for me....certainly makes film cost a reason not to be using all these cameras I have.

Darkroom, before the buyout, things had slowed down significantly in my opinion. There was a strong film surge twice a year that went along with a local high school or college film course. They ate up alot of film inventory, which simply has not been restocked that I can tell in some 6 months, that is except for T-Max. One 5 pack of Porta 220, T-Max and that was it......

Even two months ago when I went in to get my filmed developed and a CD made also, there was a big wall behind the photo counter that would have many, many rolls of film developed and ready to be picked up all arranged by name A-Z. Those 8 or so big drawers were down to 2 1/2 today. I have NEVER seen it that low EVER. Maybe it's the weather, maybe not, but it just didn't seem to have the traffic (slow and steady) that I have become used to.

It's the only place in town where you can actually use a camera and get "real" instruction and advice as to capabilities of photographic equipment.....film or digital before you purchase something. I remember once they went into the parking lot with a high end canon with a HUGE lens with a customer's card in the camera and took sample photos in actual conditions. All I know is virtually everyone behind the counter wanted to sell you something you would be satisfied and happy with, which of course had the side effect of wishing you were back in the store again talking photography with them (and then buying something else......their master plan....).

Bottom line: The store that was Oklahoma City's premier photography store for decades definately saw the results of the decline in film and the mass marketing of digital cameras to the big box stores. I think all the pro guys used them extensively in the day, but as soon as digital hit the pro end along with the consumer end, it was all but written in stone for them. They did compete well against the big box guys coming very close to big box price or better in alot of cases, but big box would NOTshow you how to use your camera, they would. Saw that teaching service many times with middle aged folks trying to use their first digital camera.

.....then I would show up with several rolls of assorted 35mm and 120 film to confuse them all....

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    35mm
    I have 3 photography stores near me, two of which sell used gear, and all of which sell film. Not a ton, but they do still have the film. A few months ago one of them removed the storage shelf for film from behind the counter. Now all their film hangs on pegs like at Walmart.

Kodak's Gold 100 is my main film, and as far as I can tell, it's discontinued. That means there is no ASA 100 color film other than Kodak Ektar. I wish there was, but if I had to choose another speed I'd opt for either Fuji or Kodak's 200 speed films, both are nice. I just shot a roll of Fuji's C200 last week, and it developed and scanned real nice.

Fuji C200
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roll12689-L.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	218.5 KB 
ID:	54074
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a small store in Norman (http://www.mainstphotovideo.com/) that has a small stock of 135's and 120's — some are even frozen. I'm pretty sure they have Porta.
    Last edited by jcc; 07-18-2012 at 07:38 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: wrong URL

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Looks like a trip to Norman is on my schedule tomorrow. Thanks for the hint JCC. I appreciate it!!

Bob E.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The title of your thread is exactly why the uneducated public thinks that film is completely gone, please consider a more accurate title next time. I live in one of the most photographed places in the world, but there is no lab, not even a place to upload your memory card and get a print. There are a couple of varieties of Fuji color neg film at either grocery store...

But film is not virtually dead in my town because I use it. I use mail order, in other words, I support the people who support my needs the best. Change your wording, it is not helping the perception of the medium...

And you list all of these cameras and don't have a roll of film lying around? Looks like you are supporting the used film camera market more than the medium they actually use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm always amazed at these threads. Even in the 90s, I've NEVER lived where I could buy significant darkroom supplies or have other than 35mm film locally processed. You're on the Internet. Order your stuff here and send your film out. That's what the rest of the country does. Problem solved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin