Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,303   Posts: 1,536,266   Online: 832

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Freestyle offers "new" Ortho Litho film

Good news! Looks like Freestyle has found a new supplier for the Arista Ortho Litho films:
    http://freestylephoto.biz/51455-Aris...-4x5-50-Sheets

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's great news. Thanks for the link.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Best news I've heard in a long time. Was about to place a big order for the previous stuff a couple of years ago but it had already sold out due to the discontinuation notice. They also say this new film is higher contrast than the older stuff. Excellent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What do you use this for? What's the big benefit? Is it a TechPan sort of film?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Traditionally used in the printing/graphic arts industry as a high contrast film for making printing plates. I still use it to expose photopolymer plates for letterpress printing, but it can be adapted for a wide variety of large format, contact printing, and alt. process applications. Plus it's quite affordable compared to most large format sheet films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What he said.

Also, when processed in certain ways it's good for making enlarged negatives for contact printing (you can, essentially, achieve a continuous tone image).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice, I may have to pick up some of the 11x14 size for myself.

This is fun stuff to play around with, the past two weeks my students have been enlarging their images onto the photoware house brand ortho litho film, contacting it to make a negative again, and using that negative for our cyanotypes outdoors in the park.

The results are very good, and there is a fun wow factor for students/kids who have never seen a negative bigger than 35mm or 120.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Nice, I may have to pick up some of the 11x14 size for myself.

This is fun stuff to play around with, the past two weeks my students have been enlarging their images onto the photoware house brand ortho litho film, contacting it to make a negative again, and using that negative for our cyanotypes outdoors in the park.

The results are very good, and there is a fun wow factor for students/kids who have never seen a negative bigger than 35mm or 120.
    Do you process in Dektol or similar for continuous tone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They were done in lpd 1:2, a bit contrasty but there was detail and tones though compressed. I'll attach an example image when I get in on Monday.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Instead of enlarging onto it and then contact printing it to another sheet to make a large negative, why not just reversal process the first exposure? One less generation.

Like this: Negatives by Reversal (Ed Buffaloe, Unblinking Eye)

I've done that process before with Kodalith film, but I couldn't tame the contrast.
    Last edited by SkipA; 08-08-2012 at 11:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin