Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,050   Online: 1105

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Is APS totally dead?

Is APS film a thing of the past ? A friend of mine wants to source some film but I guess it has gone the way of the Dodo ?

Shooter
    35mm
    APS film hasn't been produced for a few years, so the only chance now is probably Ebay, or googling to see if any suppliers might have any old stocks left.
    Processing may also become an issue, as not all remaining labs can deal with the unusual size negs, etc. (Photo Express, in Hull, is one I've used...also very high quality work in 35mm, etc., IMH experience.)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    APS film hasn't been produced for a few years, so the only chance now is probably Ebay, or googling to see if any suppliers might have any old stocks left.
    Processing may also become an issue, as not all remaining labs can deal with the unusual size negs, etc. (Photo Express, in Hull, is one I've used...also very high quality work in 35mm, etc., IMH experience.)
    Thanks for the prompt reply.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, Fuji produced APS until the middle of 2011, and shipped the last of it to retailers in May. It's still around in the US, in some drug stores and places like that.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    One of my big disappointments is that there's no way I know of fudging APS from cut-down b/w film stock etc., unlike 110 where there's plenty of room for experimenting. Apart from colour neg film, which still seems to be in a few shops, there's not much you can do with the many cheap APS cameras that turn up.
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Our local Boots still processes APS film. For how much longer I don't know: it can't be very profitable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As dead as the Norwegian Blue in the Monty Python sketch.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    'E's not dead, 'e's pinin' for the fjords!

Shooter
    35mm
    APS was a major nail in Kodak's coffin; they wasted many millions of dollars on a system claiming to solve a problem that had long been solved - the difficulty people had in loading 35mm cameras. APS should never have happened!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 to that. It was a bunch of solutions looking for problems.

It still could have worked out ok. It was a smaller frame but by then film was good enough that it was more than large enough for most casual snapshooters needs, unlike 110 and, ugh, disc. And the easy mid roll changes and indexing and so on could have been nice, if not all that needed, but the processing cost so much more than 35mm it was DOA.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin