Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,833   Online: 1171

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

B&H no longer carrying Xtol?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...owder_for.html

Looks like they are out for now. I recently stocked up and went to get more and found the note. I know sometimes they will post that when they don't feel like stocking something anymore and then change it again once back in stock.

At least Freestyle and Adorama carry it...
    Last edited by PKM-25; 09-08-2012 at 02:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    They are not just out for now, they have it marked as discontinued. Looks like Xtol is gone from B&H and on its way out in general.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I have a good supply of it, 50+ 5 liter packs, but what makes you say it is on its way out? It's the preferred soup for TMX 100 sheet Film.

Like I said before, I have seen B&H do this before with items that were not really discontinued.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was in B&H Thursday and the Darkroom dept. is now just a couple of shelves. I wasn't looking for Xtol but I got everything I wanted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    ...what makes you say it is on its way out?...I have seen B&H do this before with items that were not really discontinued.
    B&H, as well as other retailers, frequently list an item as "discontinued" when manufacturers terminate the SKU even though they're going to introduce the same product in different packaging, which will carry a different SKU. For example, single rolls of 120 Acros were discontinued, but 5-packs subsequently filled the distribution pipeline and became "new" products in the retailers' on-line listings, even though exactly the same film is involved.

In this case, I suspect that Champion, having been stiffed for quite a substantial sum by Kodak's Chapter 11 filing, is either not interested in or wants substantially more money (to cover losses and/or risk) to continue manufacturing chemistry for Kodak. If Kodak successfully contracts with one or more replacement chemistry suppliers, it might change the size, packaging or some other aspect of XTOL that would result in a different SKU.

Alternatively, perhaps all the XTOL bashing has driven volume down enough that Kodak really is discontinuing the product. If that's the case, my cache of 40 5-liter packages will be sufficient for the next 20 years. Should I still be around and kicking after that, there's always scratch-mixed D-76H to go with my freezer-stored 320TXP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    PKM-25 Why did you you post this?
    You have lots of good posts and I think -
    You should know better by now.
    Xtol is in no way on it's way out.
    Uninformed people that read this may feel it is.
    The big name sellers sometimes have poor web sites.
    If they are out of stock the computer program (not a person) says NO MORE EVER!
    Xtol is just great and I have gone through 100s of rolls of film with it.
    It will live on unlike Plus-X RIP.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Obviously I don't know if it's really on its way out or not. All I can say is that I've shopped with B&H for a long time now and if something is simply out of stock it will say so on the site and you can elect to be informed when the product is available again. Everytime I see something listed as discontinued it usually is. I'm sure this isn't a website error. It may be as Sal mentioned that they are changing SKU numbers. I surely hope this is the case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It doesn't much matter. The formula, or something close enough as to work just like it, is no secret and is available from several other sources.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fomadon Excel W27 is very close to Xtol and available on several places too.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does Champion make the color chemistry also?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin