Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,427   Online: 780

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Add to that the fact that a great number of native-born, English-as-a-first-language people can not spell, punctuate, or assemble a sentence correctly.
    I should add that after reading some British publications, it's clear to me that lots of people in England are no better at their language than we are!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    Oh, fair enough. Through the ambiguity I was wildly optimistic that they had a machine for 120 too.
    I believe it is theoretically possible, but they won't touch 120 film.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Thank God film, like music, has no language barrier.
    - Bill Lynch

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Martin... I suspect that the message writer is neither American nor British in origin. By "rolled" they mean 35mm cassette and by "instant" they indeed mean disposable. When one lives in a multi-cultural, multi-lingual society then one needs to be a bit forgiving with regard to language skills. ... and add to that "multi-generational"... in many camera stores today they've only "heard about" film before.
    To be fair, that "rolled" is not bad at all.

Why is there roll-film and type-135? For historic reasons of course. But both are rolled.
    As rollfilm is no longer feasable as generic term, and "rolled film" is ambiguous I use "spooled film".

I must admit I don't see the idea behind that "Instant" camera. Aside of a language issue as indicated above, could there be another reason? I'm usally slow on the uptake. (I would not even have thought of single-use cameras.)

By the way: "disposible camera" is no good term either: from the point of the user, it is not disposed but handed in for processing. From the point of the lab, it is recycled. (I got such cameras, that just got new film, battery and paper cover and were back on sale.)

Shooter
    35mm
    "one time use camera" is what every lab I've worked for calls them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I almost crashed my car yesterday driving past a drugstore who has a "electronic moving message sign" announcing that they still process 110 and 126 film. One day I'll have to go in and meet the photo people to see if they sell any of those formats.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Searust View Post
    Maybe I will stick one on my front door...
    I was thinking the same thing. Great minds and all that.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I should add that after reading some British publications, it's clear to me that lots of people in England are no better at their language than we are!
    My mother and father wasted ten thousands of dollars to English courses and my teenager years was a torture. But I learned that English as much as I can write and understand at APUG. Now its time for German and Russian.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post

By the way: "disposible camera" is no good term either: from the point of the user, it is not disposed but handed in for processing. From the point of the lab, it is recycled. (I got such cameras, that just got new film, battery and paper cover and were back on sale.)
    When I was doing electrical experiments I would go to local labs and ask for used disposable cameras with flashes and cannibalize them for the capacitors and charging circuits. I would advise against this as I got electrocuted like 20 times over the course of these projects.
    I Also used the glass (plastic) lenses from these to make sharper home made (pinhole) cameras. I got some great results. -Again don't do this as you could get a lethal zap from the capacitor when you take the camera apart.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin