Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,109   Online: 976

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Every logic thought around this, only makes sense if 120 is re-introduced as well. :P

In 120, they have only one b&w film (come on!), they are seriously lacking a 400 ISO alternative there, so just re-introducing it for 35mm would be a really weird decision, especially when you have the Lomo-crowd shooting a lot of 120 these days.
    The same goes for large format as well;
    I thought various formats had to to with cutting and packaging from a master roll, they don't have to make a huge master roll for 120 and large format (when they are on the roll, so to speak).

I did catch some talk on rangefinderforum about some issue about getting hold of fresh Neopan 400 in 35mm. Everyone seemed to get hold of the same exp. date in 2014 all over the world, so there was a rumor around there that Fuji might have pulled the plug on it in 35mm.
    No confirmation though, just lots of nervous shooters wondering why no fresh batches of NP400 seemed to be available anywhere (even in Japan). The thread went on from 2011 into 2012.

I do shoot a lot of tri-x nowdays, but got hold of 10 rolls of 120 Neopan 400 on eBay and I shot one roll of each, back to back, during a lovely Sunday a couple of weeks back.
    The Neopan has less grain and seem to have better resolution, but they are otherwise quite similar in contrast and also in tonal response, at least to my eyes (used HC-110 B for both).

If I had a choice, Neopan 400 120 all day long, but when I have no choice, like now, Tri-X is a really nice film and imo not too far away from NP400 in HC-110 B.....
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format

Photokina 2012: Fuji Neopan 400 is back

4x5 and 120 won't come off the same master roll as the film base is different. Sheet film is much thicker and stiffer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just for information, Fuji Neopan 400 (135) is now available in the following European based (German) shops that I know of:

fotoimpex.de
    nordfoto.de
    macodirect.de

I don't think I've ever seen Neopan 400 on fotoimpex before, so it seems to be clear that this is the reintroduction coming into effect.

Still want it in 120 though.....beating myself up because I didn't buy a medium format camera before 2010 when it was cut :/
    -

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been around this place long enough to know how many "return of X film" wild goose chase threads there are, but this one is just killing me. All I want for Christmas is my Neopan 400 in 120. Bah humbug.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Helinophoto,
    I too saw it available in fotoimpex.de recently.
    Kudos to Fuji for bringing back Neopan 400 in 135.

Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2 View Post
    I've been around this place long enough to know how many "return of X film" wild goose chase threads there are, but this one is just killing me. All I want for Christmas is my Neopan 400 in 120. Bah humbug.
    Are You the "goose chase threads" police? or You just want to write something, not to read..?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    Thanks Helinophoto,
    I too saw it available in fotoimpex.de recently.
    Kudos to Fuji for bringing back Neopan 400 in 135.

Are You the "goose chase threads" police? or You just want to write something, not to read..?

Georg16nik, I'm very happy that you can once again stock your trollhöhle with 135. I simply want Neopan 400 in 120 back. Several posts on this thread suggested 120 was back in production. I called B&H, Freestyle and Adorama and they all said they've heard nothing to that end.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    35mm
    No, 120 is not back although the reasons given for the return of 135 suggests that there is now no longer any production reason why. Unfortunately our Photokina reporter was unable to find out why 120 has not been brought back. I can only assume it is due to commercial reasons

Very frustrating. All we want is simple answers to simple questions posed to the Fuji people in this case and all we seem able to rely on in terms of the "big three" is Ilford to respond with answers. Pity it can't deal with Fuji matters. It should offer its services to Fuji as PR consultants on how to treat customers better

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    No, 120 is not back although the reasons given for the return of 135 suggests that there is now no longer any production reason why. Unfortunately our Photokina reporter was unable to find out why 120 has not been brought back. I can only assume it is due to commercial reasons

Very frustrating. All we want is simple answers to simple questions posed to the Fuji people in this case and all we seem able to rely on in terms of the "big three" is Ilford to respond with answers. Pity it can't deal with Fuji matters. It should offer its services to Fuji as PR consultants on how to treat customers better
    pentaxuser
    Indeed, Ilford really knows how to keep the masses well informed.

Love their papers too btw ^^
    -

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    Indeed, Ilford really knows how to keep the masses well informed.

Love their papers too btw ^^
    This is exactly why when I decided to attempt B&W again (I'm a color transparency shooter primarily) I bought Ilford rather than Kodak or Fuji. Ilford has kept the masses well informed, and Simon Galley even said he'd look into how feasible it would be to reintroduce a true IR film. To put it simply, Ilford/Harman listens to their customers. Kodak and Fuji would do well to hire better people to do their PR.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Unfortunately our Photokina reporter was unable to find out why 120 has not been brought back. I can only assume it is due to commercial reasons
    Yes, economic reasons. The 35mm market is much bigger than the 120 market. And the re-introduction is not without risks. Because no one at Fuji exactly knows
    - How loyal are the former Neopan 400 users to the film: Will they use it again?
    - How much of the former Neopan 400 users have already switched to other films / brands? Will they come back?
    - How much of new users / beginners will try the film?

Therefore they have to be cautious and minimize the risks. If the 35mm re-introduction will be a success, then they probably will think about 120, too.
    If the re-introduction fails, well, no need to further think about 120.

Best regards,
    Henning

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin