Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,484   Posts: 1,571,276   Online: 1057

View Poll Results: Which Professional Kodak still film will be the next to die?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Portra 160

8 6.45%
  • Portra 400

0 0%
  • Portra 800

31 25.00%
  • Ektar 100

6 4.84%
  • T-Max 400

2 1.61%
  • T-Max 100

3 2.42%
  • Tri-X 320

23 18.55%
  • Tri-X 400

1 0.81%
  • BW400CN

50 40.32%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i have shot thousands of sheets and rolls of film in the past few years.
    and promote it pretty much every day. shooting film is what i do for a living ...
    im not obsessing over anything, i think this thread is kind of funny.

just saying ..
    at least someone understands my sick joke that's not really entirely a joke
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Negative post.

Yes.. but only because all of the positive emulsions are already gone.

Shooter
    Multi Format

The next Kodak film to die? Place bets now!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    As the owner of a pro lab who watch each film type that runs though my processors I'de guess Tri-x 320. its the least common film for me to process on that list. I was surprised about Portra 800 as i happen to process quite a lot of it.
    Is Portra 800 gone? I didn't hear about that. Drat.

EDIT: Ah, I see now. I was reading and posted the above from my iPhone and didn't see the poll results.

I probably shouldn't have voted but did, for BW400CN because it's the only one I personally don't care about. It does get better prints on RA4 paper but I don't print black and white on RA4 paper. For me, if I wanted a chromogenic black and white film (and if Ilford made XP2 Super in 4x5 I'd be sorely tempted to lay in some C41 chemistry and switch to it for my all format standard) XP2 is superior. But for those who print on conventional minilab machines (are any of those left?) or scan and print to RA4 paper, the Kodak is superior.

EDIT II: Well I guess not the ONLY one that wouldn't affect me - I don't generally shoot TMX either but I acknowledge it's a great film. It would be a bad one to lose.
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 10-03-2012 at 12:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    POLLS LIKE THIS ARE STUPID AND MEANINGLESS! There I've said it and I feel better.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... so what did you vote for?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depressing to do so, considering our options are steadily diminishing...but my guess would be for BW400CN (although I wonder, too, about the future of Portra 800).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    TMAX 100

The grain on TMAX 400 is so fine that even in 16x20 enlargements from medium format, you have to look very close to see any grain. My local shop says that TMY 400 outsells TMX 100 by seven or eight to one.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    400 is the sweet spot of photography -- has been for 40 years.

I love portra 800, but think it is going...
    back to the triple-x ranch, where we have big dreams around small fires.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    A bit morbid and kind of pointless but it doesn't really matter, as it doesn't change anything. TMX will probably go at some point. Great resolution and it's grainless but so what? I like Delta 100 better in that dept. As Parker said above, TMY really is more than good enough to cover all bases, especially moving into medium and large format. For 35 mm, I want some grain and, when I really don't, I shoot digital, or TMY processed in DDX. I bet that sales of TMX are pretty dismal.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I find this survey callous and offensive, it makes me wonder if the O.P. makes book in which of his friends will be the next one to die.
    Personally, I've no prob with this survey....no one is making a book on the result, and it just brings out light hearted chat and discussion. The loss of a brand of film is nothing to compare with an actual friend dieing, I know that from recent experience. (Waiting for the first post that "a film is just like an old friend, etc., etc." I also know all that. )
    Last edited by railwayman3; 10-03-2012 at 12:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin