Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,851   Online: 909

View Poll Results: Which Professional Kodak still film will be the next to die?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Portra 160

8 6.45%
  • Portra 400

0 0%
  • Portra 800

31 25.00%
  • Ektar 100

6 4.84%
  • T-Max 400

2 1.61%
  • T-Max 100

3 2.42%
  • Tri-X 320

23 18.55%
  • Tri-X 400

1 0.81%
  • BW400CN

50 40.32%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Isn’t this more a case of contraction in the market? As long as enough people still want to buy film it will probably still be for sale, but with much less variety and the marketing people created too much variety in the first place.
    Last edited by cliveh; 10-03-2012 at 11:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    user
    Quote Originally Posted by ric_kb View Post
    400 is the sweet spot of photography -- has been for 40 years.

I love portra 800, but think it is going...
    back to the triple-x ranch, where we have big dreams around small fires.
    I've noticed that Kodak have recently changed the film in their recycleable cameras from a 400 ASA to a 800 ASA version, presumably to give more latitude for those users who forget to switch on the flash or read the instructions as to subject distance.

Having seen some surprisingly good results from these cameras at friend's recent wedding, I wonder if they are using Portra 800
    inside....can't see them coating two emulsions at 800ASA just to use a different one for the recycleable cameras?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    If those in charge of Kodak looked a little bit outside of their box they would see that there is a resurgence (small at present) of traditional film they may well be advised put things on hold.
    Ummm...the people are closest to film at Kodak *do* see this...TMZ 3,200 has been in a precipitous decline for ten years, just too grainy in 35mm when 101010 kills it at ISO 50,000.

Mods, please delete this useless thread...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Mods, please delete this useless thread...
    What harm is it doing? And is anyone being forced to read or contribute if they don't want to?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    What harm is it doing? And is anyone being forced to read or contribute if they don't want to?
    1. Kodak folks read this site *daily* and are presenting these findings to the potential buyers of Kodak Film Marketing and Distribution.

2. Right now, not later, we need forward momentum in keeping film alive, posts like these do nothing to help our cause, nada.

By the way, I use both TMX and TMY, have over 1,000 sheets of each, I don't want to lose either...

Shooter
    35mm
    1)
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    1. Kodak folks read this site *daily* and are presenting these findings to the potential buyers of Kodak Film Marketing and Distribution.

2. Right now, not later, we need forward momentum in keeping film alive, posts like these do nothing to help our cause, nada.

By the way, I use both TMX and TMY, have over 1,000 sheets of each, I don't want to lose either...
    1) Perhaps it's rather a pity then that these "Kodak folk" apparently never contribute to this site, as do Ilford and Adox. A free forum filled with passionate photographers from all over the world, most of whom love, promote and use Kodak products...surely a no-brainer?
    And what harm is there in presenting this enthusiasm for all things analog to potential buyers?

2) If APUG doesn't reflect this passion and forward momentum, together with a real concern to keep film alive, then I must be reading the wrong forums.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Perhaps it's rather a pity then that these "Kodak folk" apparently never contribute to this site, as do Ilford and Adox. A free forum filled with passionate photographers from all over the world, most of whom love, promote and use Kodak products...surely a no-brainer?
    A very good point.

Kodak has more to lose right now than Kodak's remaining customers do. There are workable film replacements for almost everything Kodak makes. And most have already hoarded-up those items where there aren't.

If these "folks" are really here, why continue hiding in the shadows? If they keep hiding much longer there won't be any Kodak left to worry about. Time would not appear to be on their side.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I still have hopes that someone can rip Kodak's film business away from Kodak upper management in time so that it can begin to benefit from the uptick in the analog market. And that the manufacturing part of it is included
    But that's not the plan.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Human psychology is interesting: some people will utilize a prediction of bad news to make constructive plans for the future, while others will throw up defense mechanisms and denials because the news is either too difficult to visualize or too painful to acknowledge.

Kodak has been guilty of customer disloyalty in the form of dropping emulsions without warning (or dropping them on very short notice). I
    see this poll being practical along the lines what I have said earlier: we are now in a time where it's "every man for himself".

Use the poll and the discussion herein to draw your own conclusions on what's next to go in the Kodak range, and if finances allow - stockpile accordingly.

In fact, I'd like to see a poll on Fuji material as well.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I doubt Kodak would put a lot of weight on the poll results, given that this forum has an unusual number of darkroom workers in it, and BW400CN is clearly not optimized for them.

I would expect to see the numbers for T-MAX 100 begin to improve a bit with the supplies of Plus-X drying up.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin