Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,356   Online: 737

View Poll Results: Which Professional Kodak still film will be the next to die?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Portra 160

8 6.45%
  • Portra 400

0 0%
  • Portra 800

31 25.00%
  • Ektar 100

6 4.84%
  • T-Max 400

2 1.61%
  • T-Max 100

3 2.42%
  • Tri-X 320

23 18.55%
  • Tri-X 400

1 0.81%
  • BW400CN

50 40.32%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    1. Kodak folks read this site *daily* and are presenting these findings to the potential buyers of Kodak Film Marketing and Distribution.
    So what? Don't you think they are smart enough to discern between idle speculation between a bunch of internet forum folks and a recommendation on how they should conduct their business?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    So what? Don't you think they are smart enough to discern between idle speculation between a bunch of internet forum folks and a recommendation on how they should conduct their business?
    One of the reasons they find themselves in their current predicament is they have failed big time to anticipate their consumers requirements and wishes, maybe they will start.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    1. Kodak folks read this site *daily* and are presenting these findings to the potential buyers of Kodak Film Marketing and Distribution.

Let's not get overly impressed with our importance here. The Kodak folks probably also read the cartoons daily as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    they have failed big time to anticipate their consumers requirements and wishes
    I wish it was that simple.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak is a publicly owned company. However they operate their business, their responsibilities lie primarily with the shareholders, and decisions are made in accordance with that. You can argue that they might not have done a very good job of making those decisions, but that's the truth. Either there is enough profit in a product, or there isn't. If there isn't, it gets chopped.

Ilford is, as far as I understand, a privately owned venture. Their responsibilities are counted differently. Yes, they still have to make profit, but they have only themselves to be held accountable to. So it's OK for them to hold onto a low volume film, if they feel there are other reasons than profit to keep it. I don't know the numbers, but I'm sure Ilford make the bulk of their profit selling HP5+ and Delta 100, rather than SFX and Delta 3200 - but they still keep all those market lines, and my own wild guess is that they do it to have a complete market line, hopefully satisfying most of the darkroom photographers out there, instead of only those that bring the most profit. Looks good in the customers' eyes, you know.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I doubt Kodak would put a lot of weight on the poll results, given that this forum has an unusual number of darkroom workers in it, and BW400CN is clearly not optimized for them.

I would expect to see the numbers for T-MAX 100 begin to improve a bit with the supplies of Plus-X drying up.
    Why would people move from Plus-X to TMX? I liked Plus-X and used it, but I moved to FP4+. If I wanted a t-grain medium speed film I could have been using TMX all along. I wasn't, and when Plus-X went away I didn't. I suspect more people moved to FP4+ or perhaps Acros than to TMX.

Shooter
    Multi Format

The next Kodak film to die? Place bets now!

I actually like TMX a bit more than delta and fp4+ and acros. I like TMY more than delta 400 as well.

TMX in 120 is quite amazing with such a clear base.

Shooter
    Multi Format

The next Kodak film to die? Place bets now!

Tri-x will be discontinued tomorrow, but do not worry
    the world ends on 21-12-2012

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    I actually like TMX a bit more than delta and fp4+ and acros. I like TMY more than delta 400 as well.

TMX in 120 is quite amazing with such a clear base.
    That's totally understandable, different strokes and all that.

And I understand TMX IS good for reversal processing, partly for that reason, and I think folks use it for contast masking too (not needed so much now that Ilfochrome is gone - but I think any black and white sheet film with a reasonable clear base could be used for that.)

Shooter
    Large Format
    i absolutely love tmx and tmy, it has been almost the only sheet film i have exposed for about 15years.
    it has a beautiful grainless look and feel to it when processed in a conventional developer
    and beautiful grain and fog when processed in caffenol. next to neopan, its my favorite sheet to process in java...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin