Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,461   Online: 759

View Poll Results: Which Professional Kodak still film will be the next to die?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Portra 160

8 6.45%
  • Portra 400

0 0%
  • Portra 800

31 25.00%
  • Ektar 100

6 4.84%
  • T-Max 400

2 1.61%
  • T-Max 100

3 2.42%
  • Tri-X 320

23 18.55%
  • Tri-X 400

1 0.81%
  • BW400CN

50 40.32%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My guess is that the next film to be discontinued will be the film that next needs a master roll to be coated. If you read the latest news on Kodak, they're running short on cash, and with the long payback period on a master roll, they might find it more economically feasible to discontinue the stock rather than keep it going.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    My guess is that the next film to be discontinued will be the film that next needs a master roll to be coated. If you read the latest news on Kodak, they're running short on cash, and with the long payback period on a master roll, they might find it more economically feasible to discontinue the stock rather than keep it going.

they would make a BOATLOAD of instant cash if they sold master rolls of film to someplace like photowarehouse
    who has years and years of experience cutting and notching and repackaging film for specialty sheet film shooters.
    they did this for years with "made in england" film ( olde ilford ) and there are enough people who shoot everything
    from 2.5x.5 - 20x24 ( and larger ) and everything inbetween ... they could sell a master roll in a matter of months.
    whenever there is a special order of film, people come out of the woodwork and buy a freezer full of it, or a handful of boxes.

i find it crazy that they don't do something like that, seeing people who shoot those sizes yearn for film to shoot
    and often times wait and wait and wait for the special orders to come around ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm one of those who resents this poll very much. I see no humor in it whatsoever.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The only good thing about this post is that I got to show my wife that I'm not the only person on the planet that listens to Jim Carroll.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I voted for TXP320 - because I love it and use it all the time... and historically, my personal patronage of any film seems to be its undoing (APX100, Plus-X, etc)... :-(

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    President, Melbourne Silver Mine Inc.
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/
    http://silvermine.org.au

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by munz6869 View Post
    I voted for TXP320 - because I love it and use it all the time... and historically, my personal patronage of any film seems to be its undoing (APX100, Plus-X, etc)... :-(

Marc!
    And all these years I thought it was just me. If I really liked something it was doomed to be discontinued.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The people who have expressed displeasure with this poll should take big breaths and remove those uncomfortable sticks from their ..... It's perfectly normal to speculate on what's next for an iconic company that facing total collapse.

We hear a lot about the importance of large companies that are "too big to fail." Kodak is a company that is too big NOT to fail--a ponderous Goliath that is rooted in its past and has not been able to adjust to change in an effective way. It's CEO, backed by an inept board of directors, seems determined to destroy what's left.

When you're on a one-way road to Hell, it doesn't matter much whether you're traveling in a hand basket or a bright yellow box. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    But that's not the plan.
    Yeah, I know, Steve. But I figure it's still worth hoping for. I mean, after all is said and done, how many of Kodak's (Perez's) plans have so far worked out as planned? Not too many, it would seem.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Benoît99 View Post
    The people who have expressed displeasure with this poll should take big breaths and remove those uncomfortable sticks from their ..... It's perfectly normal to speculate on what's next for an iconic company that facing total collapse.
    Er, given the fact that you've contributed little to APUG (25 posts?), I'd be careful about handing out rude advice

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bascom49 View Post
    The only good thing about this post is that I got to show my wife that I'm not the only person on the planet that listens to Jim Carroll.

yeah he was good, wasn't he?
    i wish i saw him at the old living room or lupo's or the met
    here in providence when he toured back in the day ...
    i saw some of his contemporaries .. but not him ...

but now i will just hum the discontinuance soundtrack

with his driving beat, thinking ...

super xx was a friend of mine, and it DIED ...
    tmz was a friend of mine, and it DIED ...
    azo looked good with a bit of ami-dol, and it DIED ...
    kodachrome was a friend of mine, and it DIED ...
    verichromepan looked good in 127, and it DIED

..... and so on and so on and so on

oh well ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 10-04-2012 at 08:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin