Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,744   Online: 869

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tri X

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    There's also Arista Premium 400 in 100' bulk.
    Unless you want to be able to load shorter rolls (which I do, as I often find 36 way too much) there's little reason to buy it though. It's $45.99 and 100' gets you about 18 rolls or $2.555 per roll. The prepackaged, DX-coded stuff is only $2.89. For that price difference I'd avoid the hassle of bulk loading every time, if it weren't for wanting shorter loads. The preloaded 24 exposure rolls are way more than 2/3s the price of 36, so for 24x load the bulk is a good savings.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here in Montreal, I have two choices. Either I go to stores on the weekends, only to spend too much time in traffic, finding parking space. Then the store does not have what I want, 120 or 4x5, BW chemistry. Or, on Sunday night, a few clicks on B&H, I get what is needed, delivered at my door on wednesday. Low shipping costs, import duties and GST tax all taken care of on B&H website. Guess where my business goes...

I think hoarding, unless performed on a super scale bringing you the end of your statistical life expectancy, is useless. You are only introducing a (short) delay in the inevitable. Might as well adapt to current supplies and be happy with what is available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    this...

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/192364...xp.?cat_id=402

is tri-x.

no kidding.

order a couple of bricks and shoot away.

ctrentelman
    ogden

Quote Originally Posted by John cox View Post
    It's gotten to the point that I can't get the film I want by any means other than ordering online or spending hours hunting down rolls from stores with very little stock. When I finally find the film I need local stores charge charge about $7-$10 a roll. I'm also worried about Kodak discontinuing Tri X 400, my favourite in film still in production. For these reasons I'm thinking that it might be worthwhile to stockpile film.

Is it worth hoarding film? I'm considering buying about 100 (36xp) rolls online.

If this doesn't sound crazy (my friends think I'm nuts) what's a good place to order from? I usually buy from B&H but if there's some place cheaper that would be great to know.

Your thoughts would be great,
    John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I buy my film mainly on line, my local pro dealer only had in total about fifty rolls of film 120 and 135 in stock the last time I was there and when I asked if that was all they had they said " very few of our customers still use film, if you give us an order for reasonable amount we can get it for you", they quoted me some prices, I could get it considerably cheaper direct from Fuji U.K on line,but I didn't tell them that I have a good relationship with them and don't want to upset them
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I have not hoarded film in the past but I am now building a supply of 100' rolls from Freestyle, including the Premium (Tri-x). Even got, direct from Kodak, a roll of 100' 16mm Double-xx for the spy camera. For 120 and sheet film I plan to buy a few bricks and boxes. All going in the freezer. I don't consider bulk loading a hassle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John cox View Post
    It's gotten to the point that I can't get the film I want by any means other than ordering online or spending hours hunting down rolls from stores with very little stock.
    In 1975 I could not find Tri-X in 120 for my Yashicamat. I had to stock up at the regional pro shop on a regular basis. With the advent of the internet, finding film is easier than it ever was, in my opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I keep 3 to 10 rolls of a type on hand depending on my general use. And the normal basic delivery for me here outside of Philadelphia gets me deliveries from B&H in two days (and without burning gas). In my area there is very little 120 film around. Last I was in my local shop, they had some 35mm PX125, 24 exposures, for something like $8.99 a roll. I like Plus-X, but not that much!

Shooter
    35mm
    I have to agree, it's pretty easy to buy film online these days. Buy it Sunday night from B&H and it's delivered to my door on Wednesday. I usually buy several rolls at a time in order to spread the shipping cost out over several rolls (shipping is the same whether I buy 1 roll or 10 - I think the shipping cost goes up once I hit 13 rolls). Of course this drives my wife crazy because it's usually a $40+ order.

Now if I could just find someplace stateside that sells the Made-in-Japan Agfa Prescia so I could see how it looks. I got to shoot one roll of Sensia befofre it was discontinued and really like the colors. The flesh-colors were especially good with this film.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I've NEVER been able to buy most of my film locally. Even in the 70s and 80s I lived 20 miles from the nearest place to buy 120 film, farther from sheet film, and those were just the more popular emulsions. Now I live in a major metro area but film is not popular.

There's at least two places I'm aware of that carry at least some film in Atlanta proper (leaving out the consumer C41 35mm stuff you can still get at Wal Mart last I looked) but truth is, it's far more convenient for me to just order it off the Internet. I hate driving inside Atlanta proper anyway, hate parking there even more, and would gladly pay a premium to avoid it. Provided I plan a little in advance, and I have a large dorm fridge just for film, I get a selection of any film currently made online for prices that are better, even with shipping, than I'd get by taking an hour plus to brave the traffic and buying it in town.

Just order it. It's so much better, I'd never go back to buying it locally even if I COULD, unless I had nearly as good prices less than ten miles away, and unless you live close to B&H or Freestyle, that just isn't the reality anymore.

To be fair though, I don't know what the situation is like for Canadians.

The situation is much the same up here: selection is generally poor and the prices typically run 50 to 75 per cent higher than those offered by B&H/Adorama/Freestyle and their peers. Even with shipping and taxes, for a sizeable order (I generally order 50 to 100 rolls-plus at a time) the savings (and convenience, of course) are substantial. As much as I would like to be able to do some shopping locally, I just do not have the time or inclination to chase after "a few rolls here, a few rolls there..."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I bought 140 rolls of 120 tri-x from freestyle for $3.75 a roll at the tail end of last year,it all expires on 11/2013.It's in my freezer and should last 'til 2016 at the speed I shoot.When it runs out I'll order more-this easily beats all the driving around I used to do trying to fnd film before the internet era and it's still less than I used to pay in the 90's.Got it Good.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin