Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,761   Online: 944

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tri X

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Depends what you are doing, Roger. If Kodak 8x10 gives you the shot with just one sheet, and you
    know you've got it, it might be cheaper than guessing or shooting more than one sheet. When I wanted to goof off I'd use out-of-date bargain film. But when paying full price, you'd be amazed how
    careful 8X10 can make you behave, esp if it's color film involved. But like large format in general,
    at the end of the year, you might have more seriously printable shots on hand than the machine-
    gunners with smaller gear. I already have too many. Now it's hoping I live long enough to print some
    of them, and wondering how classy a dumpster my heirs will choose to dispose of the prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do understand that Drew. If Kodak meets your needs much better it might be less expensive than fooling around trying to make Ilford behave like Kodak. OTOH my needs are pretty simple for straightforward darkroom printing. For that, Ilford has always worked well for me in 35mm and 120 (I haven't shot Ilford in 4x5 but I'm getting sorely tempted as the price of Kodak has escalated so far.) In color you have little choice anyway. But from B&H Ilford 8x10 is $3.48 to $3.58 per sheet depending on which Ilford film, while Kodak ranges from $5.49 for TXP to $8.49 for TMY-2 to an outrageous $9.39 for TMX.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow....you large format people have to spend enormous money per image. I like slowing down with film compared to digital, but shooting only a few shots per week would kill me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't shoot 8x10, not yet anyway. 4x5 is slow but not THAT slow. I can go out with one of my medium format cameras and shoot a roll or so, maybe partial rolls of more than one emulsion with my 645 with interchangeable backs. 12 shots on the Yashicamat or 15 on the Mamiya. In the same time I'd shoot a few sheets of 4x5, maybe two or three photos and a couple of sheets each.

I have trouble shooting 36x of 35mm. I have a roll of Provia in one 35mm body that's been there since July (almost finished though) and a roll of Rollei IR that I loaded in September (2/3s done) and a roll of Neopan 1600 someone on here gave me in exchange for an eventual print from it that's been in the camera for MONTHS. I really need to finish all three up as none are my most used films.

12-15 in medium format is just about perfect. I find my film costs are pretty similar whether I shoot 35mm, 120 or 4x5. I think 8x10 would escalate that a lot, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree, 15 shots in medium format really seems ideal. I am sorely tempted to go 6 x 7, but the 10 shots/roll seems like a step back. I still might do it if I can figure out my place in the film world. I am still struggling with this because the printing situation is SOOOO different from back when I shot film full time. All the advantages of film (to me) are in the print, and despite shooting 40 rolls of film so far, I have yet to see a single print. It is so damn hard to get prints made here in China. Developing and scanning, no problem, but a print? BIIIG problem.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Wow....you large format people have to spend enormous money per image. I like slowing down with film compared to digital, but shooting only a few shots per week would kill me.
    Most of us don't pay that much; Kodak is pricing themselves out of business. Ilford, Arista (Foma) from Freestyle are all cheaper although excellent films and I'd you really want to go cheap there's always X-ray film.

Look at it this way: a sheet of 8x10 film has about the same surface area as a 36 exp. roll of 35mm and I can get it for about the same price. Not much difference, really.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Well, looking at it as price per square inch, it's really not that bad. When I bought some 10-sheet boxes of 8x10 Tri-x this year, it was like $5.50 per sheet. Not bad, but of course not great. But if you think that price is "bad," go to JapanExposures.com and see what Fuji Acros 8x10 costs: y14,690. That's about the price for Kodak color 8x10 film. So I'll shoot Kodak Tri-x while I can get it in the store, and then I'll be shooting Ilford. Yes, I absolutely agree that Ilford is great film. I sure wish that I could get Delta 3200 in sheet format!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You guys that are using the bulk film. May I ask what bulk loader you are using and what are you using for new/used film canisters?

Additionally, never having used or even seen anyone use a bulk loader.......is it hard? Can I do it on my kitchen counter or do I need to be in the dark? Seriously, for a noob, will this be hard to do?

I really haven't looked, are any of the E-6 slide films available in bulk? I am trying to switch to much more slide film usage and getting away from negative type film.....what are my options? I mainly will be using 120, with some 35mm usage too.

Thanks,

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have not had a friendly camera shop here for at least ten years, 1 shop that stocks ilford B/W film only, and only 6 rolls of 120 at any time, and I don't use Ilford, so I have been getting my film mail order for a long time, not a problem, and much cheaper than buying from a film, and I can phone an order though today, it will be here within 2 days so I don't even have to hold vast quantities in stock, mail order beats shop buying any time, at least for me,
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    SavetyBob. Youtube is your friend. There are a bunch of videos on how to use them. You need darkness only when loading the big roll into the loader. You can do that in a dark bag. Then there are plastic and metal canisters to choose from. Opinions vary between the two types. For film availability, check out the major online retailers. It can save you a bunch of money.
    All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Choose the one that has heart.

Don Juan

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin