Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,562   Posts: 1,573,324   Online: 1036

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tri X

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBob View Post
    You guys that are using the bulk film. May I ask what bulk loader you are using and what are you using for new/used film canisters?

Additionally, never having used or even seen anyone use a bulk loader.......is it hard? Can I do it on my kitchen counter or do I need to be in the dark? Seriously, for a noob, will this be hard to do?

I really haven't looked, are any of the E-6 slide films available in bulk? I am trying to switch to much more slide film usage and getting away from negative type film.....what are my options? I mainly will be using 120, with some 35mm usage too.

Thanks,

Bob E.
    May I ask what bulk loader you are using and what are you using for new/used film canisters?
    I use the Llyod because it's stone simple and wastes less film. All of them expose some of the film closest to the spool so you can't just wind until your camera won't wind, or you'll have the final frame fogged. Others like the designs with the mechanical frame counters. The Llyod's has a felt light trap. Some people worry about scratches if it gets grit embedded in it. While that could certainly happen, if you keep it even reasonably clean it won't, in my experience. No one worries about the felt trap on a film cartridge, and the film passes through that at least twice, three times if you don't open the end in the darkroom.

.is it hard? Can I do it on my kitchen counter or do I need to be in the dark?
    No, it's not hard. It's actually pretty easy, but can be a bit fidlly especially at first. You will need to load the 100'* roll of bulk film into the loader in total darkness, but once it's loaded you can close the loader and then load all your film cartridges in room light. (*Some films used to also be available in 50' lengths and occasionally shorter but I haven't seen one shorter than 100' in many years. If it's still sold that way I'm not aware of it.)

are any of the E-6 slide films available in bulk?
    Kodak E6 is no longer made at all of course, and hadn't been available in bulk for some time but some might still be around. Fuji is not available in bulk AFAIK. I've heard the Rollei CR200 film is, but I haven't actually seen it listed for sale in bulk.

AFAIK color neg is not available either, other than re-packaged motion picture film (and then there are issues with the processing to be dealt with.)

To my knowledge only black and white films are still readily available in bulk rolls.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ....I didn't bother reading the rest of the posts, but I live in Canada too and Henry's sells 100ft bulk rolls cheaper than anywhere in the world I'm told. Even B&H doesn't match them. But don't tell Henry's...just keep buying. I get my brother to buy them for me for an additional 10% off for student discounts, so I get like 6 bulk rolls at a time. Works out to less than $3/roll for me. I have about 8 in my freezer right now and looking to buy more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanstarr View Post
    ....I didn't bother reading the rest of the posts, but I live in Canada too and Henry's sells 100ft bulk rolls cheaper than anywhere in the world I'm told. Even B&H doesn't match them. But don't tell Henry's...just keep buying. I get my brother to buy them for me for an additional 10% off for student discounts, so I get like 6 bulk rolls at a time. Works out to less than $3/roll for me. I have about 8 in my freezer right now and looking to buy more.
    Bulk rolls of Tri-X are $10 cheaper than Henys at Beau Photo... Even cheaper if you buy 20+ at a time. I don't shoot 35mm but I just picked up a pile of 120 Tri-X from them.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Tri X

Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    Bulk rolls of Tri-X are $10 cheaper than Henys at Beau Photo... Even cheaper if you buy 20+ at a time. I don't shoot 35mm but I just picked up a pile of 120 Tri-X from them.
    Maybe I'm just not navigating the site right, but I looked at Beau's and they seem to only have a few films available, and only in 35mm film, except the TIP film they have which is the "cool" film, which is the old generation film that's all bad and not the "color protection" film that TIP now sells, so what am I missing?

~Stone

http://www.stonenyc.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format

Tri X

Just wanted to that I am another ontario film shooter that buys from the states. I regularly buy from BHphoto and freestyle. We have a darkroom at work (sometimes god smiles at you) and we have been getting our chemistry there too.
    The shipping is not too bad from these places and you know what it is before you place the order. I have ordered some of that Arista tri x stuff and it worked out to be cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    even with the price creep, Arista Premium is still a better option (for me and many others I'm presuming) than bulking. Less work and fresh cassettes.

fwiw, as of a few seconds ago, Henrys was listing 100' Tri X for....get this, $104.99. Pretty sure that's a typo though

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    ......I've heard the Rollei CR200 film is, but I haven't actually seen it listed for sale in bulk...
    At least in Germany it was always available in bulk. There are several films made by Agfa-Gevaert available in bulk as 35mm and 70mm, including the infrared ones, all reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by canuhead View Post
    ...a few seconds ago, Henrys was listing 100' Tri X for....get this, $104.99. Pretty sure that's a typo though
    In Germany Tri X is priced even more than that. Think ~ $130 Of course almost nobody buy it. You can get a few 100' perfect Fomapan rolls for that price.
    Last edited by georg16nik; 10-27-2012 at 10:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Tri X

Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    At least in Germany it was always available in bulk. There are several films made by Agfa-Gevaert available in bulk as 35mm and 70mm, including the infrared ones, all reasonably priced.

In Germany Tri X is priced even more than that. Think ~ $130 Of course almost nobody buy it. You can get a few 100' perfect Fomapan rolls for that price.
    Wait can you link that site where I can buy fresh 70mm?? Infrared you say?? In 70mm?? Please share that precious info!

~Stone

The Important Ones - Canon: AE-1, 1V | Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Mamiya: RZ67 Pro II, 7 II

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Sure, http://www.macodirect.de/rollei-infr...05m-p-428.html
    Rollei Infrared 400S 70mm x 30,5m
    Double perforated, 70mm x 30.5m,.
    Suitable for Hasselblad 70mm film magazine.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Tri X

Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    Sure, http://www.macodirect.de/rollei-infr...05m-p-428.html
    Rollei Infrared 400S 70mm x 30,5m
    Double perforated, 70mm x 30.5m,.
    Suitable for Hasselblad 70mm film magazine.
    Thank you this is awesome!!

~Stone

The Important Ones - Canon: AE-1, 1V | Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Mamiya: RZ67 Pro II, 7 II

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin