Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,259   Online: 773

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fomalux RC - availability in UK/EU ?

I have a yen to contact print some 5x4 pinhole exposures.

I'd like to use Fomalux RC but the "usual suspects" (Silverprint/Ag/RK/Fomafoto) don't seem to carry it ... before I order it from Freestyle in the US (not expensive but rather inconvenient) does anyone know of alternative sources in the UK/EU ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All I can say is I looked through German and Czech resources and came up empty. Moersch with Fomalux baryta base paper was the closest I found. Unless someone else has better suggestions, you could try contacting Foma directly, they might be more responsive to purchase requests than to complaints
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    you can buy it directly from manufacturer´s eshop:

http://fomaobchod.cz/

but I can´t find the way to switch the website into english - maybe google translator will help

Shooter
    Multi Format
    many thanks berraneck (and Rudeofus)

Google translate works rather well, but I can't see any way of placing an international order.

I have emailed them to see if they will deliver outside the Czech Republic or Slovak Republic.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have never heard of a RC/PE version of this paper. It is an old fashioned silver-bromide emulsion, originally intended for large format contact prints. Importantly, the paper is MUCH slower than other current papers - presumably you want an extremely long exposure, without diffraction problems due to making the pinhole smaller? In any case, the fibre-based version is all that you will find I think. It is available from Macodirect (if they have any in stock) as well as being listed on the Foma webshop.

Edit:

I stand corrected. Tucked away there is indeed an RC version of the paper in 5x7" size <--link, and with a special-offer price at the moment too.
    Last edited by MartinP; 10-17-2012 at 05:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Martin, you missed the bit in my OP about making contacts of 5x4 pinhole exposures ... if I was going to use paper in the camera, I'd use Harman DP.
    As it is, I will be exposing Foma sheet film and will want to make contacts from that. I realise I can use "ordinary" enlarging paper, but wanted to experiment a bit with "Weston-style" printing.
    Yes the price is excellent from Foma's own webshop, but as I say there appears to be no obvious facility for ordering outside the Czech and Slovak Republics. This may of course be in order to protect their resellers.
    If they can't or won't sell into the EU, then Freestyle from the US seems the only option (their shipping prices to UK are actually very affordable)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I received a note from Foma this morning to say that they will ship only within Czech & Slovak Republics from their shop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Send me a PM. I am from Czech Republic and I can "forward" your order to you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Perhaps Koja or berranek knows the typical shop prices for Foma paper in, for example, Prague shops? Is it more or less the same as on the company webshop?

I have been thinking of a short break over there for a while and I could even fill up my suitcase with paper before returning to NL on the train!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It really depends which shop you visit. If you try something at the centre they tends to be better supplied but are far from cheap (at least from my perspective).
    Example of this is:
    http://www.fotoskoda.cz/kontakty/
    They have rather extensive second hand department.

If you are after gear and are willing to carefuly inspect the goods, try this one:
    http://www.fotopazdera.cz/kontakt

But if you are after cheap films or papers try this guy:
    http://www.befoto.cz/kamenny-obchod/
    One of the cheapest brick and mortar shops in Prague. He has the same prices as fomaobchod.cz and also usualy has some expired film at very nice prices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin