Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,623   Online: 1069

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks to that damn blog post, it's now sold out at Amazon though Freestyle still has it. I luckily just bought 50 rolls before it sold out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yesterday B&H showed it as discontinued and now they show it as in stock as singles and 5-packs again. And yes, you can still get it through Amazon, just not directly from Amazon (right now Mel Pierce Camera is offering it through there.)

The only source that claims it's discontinued is one man's blog, and everyone is linking to it. I don't exactly call that a high quality source.

Why does it have to be so difficult to find out whether or not Fuji is going to keep making this product new? There's just no excuse for such poor communication.

Fortunately I don't have to deal with this drama for awhile anymore; I just picked up 20 rolls on eBay so I'll be fine for a long time with that. I just shoot it in the antique Kodaks anyway for nostalgia purposes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    lol, the magical B&H-unDiscontinuing. Why am I not surprised.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdieten View Post
    Why does it have to be so difficult to find out whether or not Fuji is going to keep making this product new? There's just no excuse for such poor communication.
    No manufacturer is obliged to announce in advance any discontinuation. Not even to announce such at all. For example Ilford communicated the discontinuation of Ilfochrome only to their customers.

Kodak and Fuji were so far even at the better side.

For the rest:

Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    It is still listed without remark at their site.

So, why not sit down, have a cup of green tea and wait...
    I mean, what else can we do in such case? (Except hoarding.)

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't expect them to announce it in advance.

I expect them to show it in the catalog if it's in production, remove it from the catalog when it's out of production, formally announce its discontinuation when that occurs, and prevent people associated with the company from spreading rumors that it's being discontinued until such communications are provided by the powers that be. Because what's happening now just looks like straight-up incompetence on the part of management.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At the Fuji website you find several products with remarks of production having been limited or production having been stopped, even with a date.

Reading our threads and postings it seems to me we are even waiting for some rumour of discontinuance to show up to get agitated.
    Last edited by AgX; 11-13-2012 at 01:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Don't ya love the internet.

I can swear that I heard from a guy on the bus who knows a guy, who’s uncles best friend read on a Russian Blog that Kodachrome is coming back, with a full production run and re-introduction of processing world wide.

So, we can reduce the DEFCON alert for Reala being discontinued from 2 down to 4 now?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fujifilm's web sites regarding film are useless. Nothing can be learned from their film situation there.

Shooter
    35mm
    The English language global and USA market pages certainly don't offer anything of use. The German version of fujifilm.eu does have a page for it. And I tried translating the Japanese pages that refer to Reala Ace, just to see what would happen. Google actually did a pretty good job in translation. But it didn't exactly reduce the confusion. There was a page with an end-of-sale announcement. It specifically mentions the discontinuation of the 35mm format (which we already knew) but the chart on the page also mentioned end-of-sale of the 120 size in September - but the text of the page did not call this out. Also, the professional film page shows 120 size Reala Ace as an available product. So that didn't help much, and I don't know if any of this means much of anything for markets outside of Japan.

http://translate.google.com/translat...ed=0CDUQ7gEwAA

http://translate.google.com/translat...ed=0CDUQ7gEwAA

The Japanese refer to the 120 size as "Brownie" film. That's charming.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    -) Apug is an international community

-) I assume in general to get most information from a company headquarter and not from a subsidiary or importer.

-) even if a product is only listed at the homemarket, in global times that means that it is still available to the rest of the world.

I must admit that this time I overlooked that extra announcement from Feb.27th which indeed reads as a termination of Reala in general. Thanks pdieten, blame on me.
    Sorry for the confusion.

I just googled a bit: This issue about availability of Reala type135 versus type120 had already been discussed here 2 years ago (me included). Which also means that in this two years we could not keep that film afloat.

If a manufacturer decides to stop a film, then it is so.
    (We only could argue on issues of marketing, advertising, product enhancement etc., but not with calls "But I want it.")
    Last edited by AgX; 11-14-2012 at 04:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin