Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,003   Online: 1028

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

7Dayshop now carrying Ilford film (120 & 135) - UK

I checked prices on 7dayshop today and found they are now selling Ilford film (135 & 120) as well as Kodak and Fuji.
    This is new for them.
    Prices are comparable with other suppliers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    I checked prices on 7dayshop today and found they are now selling Ilford film (135 & 120) as well as Kodak and Fuji.
    This is new for them.
    Prices are comparable with other suppliers.
    They always used to sell Ilford films but because they charge no VAT UK dealers were complaining quite rightly that it was unfair competition, so they were charged higher prices than UK dealers to compensate and they stopped selling it.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I looked for them on the Internet the other day because I had not heard of them for months and they were always sending me spam E mails but these thankfully had stopped. The prices they are asking for film now after the imposition of VAT are more now than I would pay on the mainland. I never did like their company, so they are still a non-entity as far as I am concerned.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How could a company not charge VAT on domestic customers?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    £6 for a roll!! ag photographic sell ilford for £3.48 a roll!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    How could a company not charge VAT on domestic customers?
    7dayshop is based in the Channel Islands, each Island has it's own government and tax laws, while they are British Depenencies they don't come under UK & EU tax laws and don't levy VAT. Technically they aren't in the EU. They are off shore tax havens and so cash rich. Imports into the UK (from outside the EU) are supposed to incur VAT butunder a threshold (not sure what it is now) are exempt, and small packages are often allowed in regardless.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to add some UK based companies were using their stores in the Channel Islands for mail order to circumvent VAT, that was stopped by the UK Government.

So 7dayshop don't get the discounts they used to and so can't pass them on, they did carry something about this on their website a year or two ago.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I am confused, I think. As 7dayshop is based in the Channel Islands and sends direct so doesn't use a U.K. intermediary I thought it was still VAT exempt so ought to be able to have a "price edge". If it has this edge but seeks to use it to add extra profit instead by exceeding mainland sellers prices then it won't sell many Ilford films. If it isn't VAT exempt then unless it still matches U.K retailers it won't sell many Ilford films. It appears from posts above not to match U.K. retailers

So why is it bothering? It must have checked its competitors Ilford prices before pitching in with its own, surely?

They used to say: "There's nowt so queer as folk" This must apply to pricing policy as well

puzzled, pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Up until I think April goods under £15 could be sent to mainland customers without charging VAT. If you ordered a large order from 7day it used to come is several packages all under £15. This arrangement has been discontinued by UK Gov and the exemption under £15 removed. Channel Isles still has a different tax regime overall to UK, but VAT treatement is now the same so they lose some of their advantages.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    7dayshop is based in the Channel Islands, each Island has it's own government and tax laws, while they are British Depenencies they don't come under UK & EU tax laws and don't levy VAT. Technically they aren't in the EU. They are off shore tax havens and so cash rich. Imports into the UK (from outside the EU) are supposed to incur VAT butunder a threshold (not sure what it is now) are exempt, and small packages are often allowed in regardless.

Ian
    From around April this year all goods sold into the U.K., no matter how small, carry VAt since the U.K. dropped the vat free system for the channel islands only. up until then anything under £15 could be sent to the U.K, without V.A.T. being charged, now you will find that these firms have, for the most part, have left the channel islands for either Switzerland or Luxenbourg, and now sell from these countrys, were they can sell goods to the value of £20 into the U.K. without paying V.A.T. on the goods, putting around 1500 to 2000 people out of work, with very little chance of finding work as, along with the U.K. and the rest of Europe, we are in deep recession,

7 day shop is now exporting from luxenbourg, but maintains a small office in Guernsey so why the prices should have increased so much is more to do with Europe than us here in the channel Islands, and to correct a point, we are not British dependicies, we are known as Crown peculiers, we have our own laws, customs and are closer to France than to Britain, also, small packages are no longer allowed into the UK without paying VAT, we have to pay the tax on any gifts we send privately to the uk, also anything, such as cameras, that are sent to the UK for repair, ever since APRIL this year,

sorry for the rant but we feel that the U.K. Goverment has let us down very badly over a number of things, and they have gained nothing, teh same goods are flowing into the country without VAT, and it is costing them twice as much as they are getting back, this is from U.K goverment figures released by the Dept concerned whe there was a High Court Case over this matter.

Rant Over
    Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin