Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,685   Online: 905

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    These days he might mean 50 to 100 million.
    That seemed...unlikely, but I suppose it's possible. Even worse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    correct tense...

And they went out of business low margin overall profit = loss...

The companies need to make a profit. Their receiver should have the IPR, does anyone want to buy & prototype the film again, and make a loss?
    They went out of business because their factory fell down, if I remember correctly. They can't have been making much money---they weren't able to repair the factory, after all---but they maintained regular production of the IR film right up to the end and I don't know any reason to think they were losing money; do you?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry for the error.

That is $50K - $100K for one experiment. That is current at about this time and degree of inflation. Also, it is correct that EFKE is no longer in production of any film.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    They went out of business because their factory fell down, if I remember correctly. They can't have been making much money---they weren't able to repair the factory, after all---but they maintained regular production of the IR film right up to the end and I don't know any reason to think they were losing money; do you?

-NT
    maybe...
    http://www.adox.de/english/styled-4/index.html
    but...
    the rumor I heared was their coater broke and it was too expensive to repair. If your auto breaks and you cannot afford to fix it you walk.
    Adox might restart the IR you could try but the volume might inhibit donno.
    I used a lot of their film to.

Shooter
    35mm
    It is about right, Noel. That was the last drop in a succession of problems. You can see here the state the factory is: http://thefotokemikaproject.wordpres...ctory-samobor/
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It is probably too late for the far IR people to try and fund repairs now as the staff with expertise will have long gone.

They were probably selling their film too cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    So what was going on with Efke/Fotokemika? Their whole production scale seems to have been pretty small---I certainly don't think they were supplying any major military customers with IR film, though I suppose they may have inherited technology from someone who was.

I understand the objections raised by PE and others, and of course Simon's comments are dispositive wrt Ilford---but then how is it possible that a single small company with an outdated factory was able to do it? (Probably the outdated technology itself meant they didn't have the IR tools for quality control---but that in itself seems to prove that there are viable alternatives to those tools!)

-NT
    I don't know, but I seem to recall that there were quality control issues with Efke films. Possibly because they didn't have the IR equipment for quality control.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The companies need to make a profit.
    Oh dear...

I knew I shouldn't have asked. Never mind.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Oh dear...

I knew I shouldn't have asked. Never mind.

Ken
    HiKen

I apologize for being blunt.

I was using their film too it was cheap and had no QA issues.

Id a payed a lot more & now feel guilty as we have squeezed a small supplier and lost several films thereby.

Bitter lesson but likely to be repeated.

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Id a payed a lot more & now feel guilty as we have squeezed a small supplier and lost several films thereby.
    Well, it's not like we were asked to pick a price; I think most of us assumed they were charging what they needed to! (And in defense of Ken's slightly testy response, I'm pretty sure most of us were already aware that the company needed to make a profit. I also suspect they didn't last for 65 years without noticing that themselves.)

Mirko probably knows more than anyone else on APUG about the life and times of Efke, and might be able to shed some light on how much of their work is feasible to replicate. We do know that to bring an emulsion to market similar to Efke 100, he and Adox had to evaluate the price, and CHS II 100 ended up being quite a bit more expensive than its ancestor---but not outlandishly so, and we outside observers necessarily don't know how much of the cost increase came from where.

If he turned up with an Adox IR820 with a price similarly scaled up relative to the Efke version, I think plenty of people would be excited---but "plenty" is defined in terms of the market for infrared film, which of course is small.

I just get frustrated when these threads seem to produce the sentiment "It's hard, and therefore IT CAN NEVER BE DONE BY ANYONE EVER AND YOU ARE ALL A BUNCH OF IDIOTS WHO THINK PRODUCTS JUST HAPPEN BY MAGIC!!1!!one!!". OK, I exaggerate a little, but really only a little.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin