Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,229   Online: 1128

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting and totally understandable.... I personally really like SFX. I'd like it even more if I could get it in 5x4! Any possibility of that one day?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Simon, Ilford is most certainly family to a lot of us and it is insight like this that shows why...

Even thought it is not as IR looking as say, Rollei IR400, I would also consider SFX 200 in 4x5 since the Rollei stuff is a real pain in the rear in that format due to it's paper thin base.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format

I'm happy to just hear of SFX

Something for me to explore, at least.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sad news I'm sure i would have loved the Ilford HIE. Maybe kodak will sell the formulation etc cheap

Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm
    Is Ilford SFX an infrared film? If I were to use SFX with infrared filters, will it give me infrared effects?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm simultaneously disappointed by the news and impressed by Harman's and Simon's commitment to looking into such possibilities and explaning their decisions to us....

I wonder - is it likely there could ever be a new emulsion from Harman?
    if so, what would be viable?
    Steve

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by madgardener View Post
    Is Ilford SFX an infrared film? If I were to use SFX with infrared filters, will it give me infrared effects?
    Infrared film means that it is usefully sensitive to infrared radiation. However this depends on the degree to which sensitivity stretches into the IR range, and to the magnitude of sensitivity in that range (absolute and in relation to the visible light sensitivity.)

The weakest infrared filter would be 89B (R72). Here you see a comparison of IR-effects on films with different IR sensitivity and different filters employed including ILford SFX with 89B filter:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/products...d_film_004.php

compare
    Ilford SFX200 R72 filter, EI 12
    Rollei IR400 R72 filter, EI 4
    Last edited by AgX; 01-31-2013 at 07:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by madgardener View Post
    Infrared? Yes! I shoot Ilford SFX at EI 6 behind IR680 and IR720 filters and it delivers a conspicuous infrared effect. The appearance doesn't SCREAM over-the-top infrared like Kodak HIE always did and Efke IR820 did sometimes but it's very distinctly different to panchromatic film behind a deep red filter.

My only grumble about Ilford SFX is its graininess and limited sharpness. I suspect (speculation!) that SFX is basically Ilford HP5+ with IR sensitisation dye added. Sheet film formats, 4x5 and 8x10, would be wonderful.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does anyone have any experience shooting SFX at night with infrared illumination?
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    Does anyone have any experience shooting SFX at night with infrared illumination?
    Even powerful IR illuminators throw out embarassingly little light, and with EI 5 or less you will be out of luck except at very close range.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin