Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,875   Posts: 1,520,196   Online: 1213

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    I'm simultaneously disappointed by the news and impressed by Harman's and Simon's commitment to looking into such possibilities and explaning their decisions to us....

I wonder - is it likely there could ever be a new emulsion from Harman?
    if so, what would be viable?
    Well the two Kentmere emulsions were new, although they have now been on the market for a couple of years or so.

Shooter
    35mm
    Steven, given the current range of Ilford films, plus Brac's comment and the fact that Simon has covered the reasons why a true IR isn't in its plans then I wonder what else it could make that would sell in sufficient quantities to be viable.

pentaxuser

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does anyone have any experience shooting SFX at night with infrared illumination?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    Even powerful IR illuminators throw out embarassingly little light, and with EI 5 or less you will be out of luck except at very close range.
    Flashlights (electronic or bulb) are to be used.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Flashlights (electronic or bulb) are to be used.
    Electronic flashes more or less replicate sun light in terms of spectrum, so the ISO rating of any IR film with respect to flash will be about ISO 5. Your big GN 58m @ISO100 strobe turns into a measly GN 13m toy at ISO 5 ...

And after all is said and done, and you have your perfect IR image with flash illumination: how much different does it look from a regular flash image ... ?
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Infrared? Yes! I shoot Ilford SFX at EI 6 behind IR680 and IR720 filters and it delivers a conspicuous infrared effect. The appearance doesn't SCREAM over-the-top infrared like Kodak HIE always did and Efke IR820 did sometimes but it's very distinctly different to panchromatic film behind a deep red filter...

I think its time to give Freestyle a call and get some Delta, FP4, and SFX. Now if only they made color positive film...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    My very last hope:

Would it be possible to make an SFX without antihalation layer? That would be a good substitute for Efke's "Aura", adding the benefit of Ilford quality control.

Many of us miss this effect:

Attachment 61119
    I am late in coming to this thread, but am very interested in this line of inquiry. I do like SFX, particularly in 120, where the graininess is less pronounced, but miss the "aura" effect of the old EFKE (Maco) films. (Then again, I also liked the Lucky films for the same reason)

I have read this thread through a couple of times but have not seen a response specific to CMO's suggestion. Is there a reason that the known SFX emulsion cannot be be tested in a version without the antihalation layer? Such a film would not possess the tonality of the EFKE product, but as CMO suggests, would not be subject to the QC concerns that plagued that film.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    t miss the "aura" effect of the old EFKE (Maco) films. (Then again, I also liked the Lucky films for the same reason)
    I have an old Canon rangefinder that I use only for IR. I put aluminum tape on the film pressure plate to make it shinny. It increased the "AURA" effect. You can get this tape at a hardware store. It is just aluminum foil with a sticky backing. I is 2 inches wide. Cover your pressure plate and then trip off the extra with a razor. I have never tried to remove it so think about it being a one way conversion with an old camera. You may never get the sticky stuff off the pressure plate if you remove the tape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting suggestion. I may look though my gear to see if I have a camera I am willing to convert. (Certainly not my Rollei, which I currently use for IR. ) I recall reading somewhere about a way to strip the AH layer from a film, but it seems rather involved and risky to me.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Steven, given the current range of Ilford films, plus Brac's comment and the fact that Simon has covered the reasons why a true IR isn't in its plans then I wonder what else it could make that would sell in sufficient quantities to be viable.

pentaxuser

Well, that is what I was thinking.... The argument Simon gives for not producing an Ilford True IR film, whilst perfectly reasonable, would presumbly apply to pretty much anything I could think of.... So, does this mean no new emulsions from Harman ever again?

Alas.... I suspect it may mean just that

Obviously the important thing is that they stay healthy and viable as a company, but just sad when films and materials disappear (or whole companies) that the existing manufacturers aren't able to fill the void.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format

True IR film market?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Therefore coated volumes produced would be uneconomical against the investment required, in relation to the size of the worldwide market, even allowing for our ability to coat 'small' volumes.
    Simon, I wonder if you could give us an insight as to what the estimated size of this worldwide market would be, or what the necessary market size would need to be? As Ilford has no intention to enter the market, perhaps you could share some tidbit for the benefit of the industry.

Thanks, Paul

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin