Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,816   Posts: 1,581,630   Online: 770

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Reply From HARMAN technology Limited Re True IR Film.

Quote Originally Posted by blaine.minazzi View Post
    I would like to say thank you to Simon and Ilford / Harman for listening to the customers, and caring enough to actually let us know why things may be doable or not.

I was somewhat concerned that I may be making a mistake by pressing forward with film, and building a darkroom - but I am fairly confident that as long as companies like Harman are around, we should expand our use of their products.

I also would also love to see Ilford produce a run of 220 and 127 every year, but would also like to see them spool up some 620 if that is within reason. Seems that it may only require the slightly different spool size for 620. If people can use their old favorites again, then I would think that would be additional film sales.

One thing we can ALL do, is encourage people to dust off their old film camera's and start shooting film again. Get people interested in the FUN side of photography again. And get them using Ilford products. The most important long term goal is that Ilford / Harman remain profitable. That is what will assure us of having the products we love.

So, Thank you Simon. And let the everyone know that the hard work and great products are truly appreciated.

Warmest Regards,

Blaine
    Blaine,

220 is a no go, Simon has said so before.

However ilford does have a "ULF special order" period, which is mostly sheet film, but a few roll films in bulk, one of which is 46mm non perforated... Which is for re-rolling your own 127. The order happens once a year and if you miss the cut off date you have to wait a year to order.

Here is the 46mm link...

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/117484...x-50-ft.-UP-EI

Also Maco/Rollie is now making a new 127, it's currently being re-sold under some weird Asian name, but I hear there will soon be Rollie branded 127 as well. But the price of the Ilford bulk roll works out to about $5/roll (plus labor to re-roll) where the Rollie will be about $10/roll I believe (and it's not yet available except on eBay as that other brand name). So the ilford comes at a good price, I buy it, works great.

Also B&H hires people to re-roll a bunch of Kodak and Fuji films into 620, it's a little pricey but there's a good selection of films to choose from.

This link SHOULD work...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...524+4130468169

Hope that's helpful info.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    it's currently being re-sold under some weird Asian name,
    You are making an assumption there. That Asian film has nothing to do with Maco/Rollei. You should re-read your thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum390/...ufacturer.html
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi Tom

Please read Simons post earlier.
    And EK or KA receivers might want to sell IPR but who would want to buy?

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Hi Tom

Please read Simons post earlier.
    And EK or KA receivers might want to sell IPR but who would want to buy?

Noel
    Yes. Except no receivers are involved now. EK is out of bankruptcy, and KA has never been close to it - they are busily making money with the production of colour paper, printing kiosks, and digital scanning equipment, along with a small revenue stream from Kodak still films and chemistry.

Where are you going to find all those film requiring aerial cameras that need the film, and need it in large enough quantities to make the specialized production runs economically practical?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I was thinking of the future not past.

The group EK or KA who own the IR film IPR arnt likely to sell it, if they fold the receiver would want to sell.

No one is going to buy...

Ilford would need to do R&D for a similar far IR film and have said no.

I understand there is not enough sales volume to be viable, it is StoneNY who envisaged you pay a premium $ for 4x5 sheets.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    I was thinking of the future not past.

The group EK or KA who own the IR film IPR arnt likely to sell it, if they fold the receiver would want to sell.

No one is going to buy...

Ilford would need to do R&D for a similar far IR film and have said no.

I understand there is not enough sales volume to be viable, it is StoneNY who envisaged you pay a premium $ for 4x5 sheets.
    Well if you recall, sometimes asking for something in different forms that might make more sense instead of asking for everything at once makes things happen.

I asked ilford about 70mm for 2 years, then discovered it was about the perforations machine, well I asked could we have a special price for the perf version to offset the creation of the machine, he said yes and through organizing and a last minute push by myself, we were able to get the global orders in and the perforation machine was created.

70mm wouldn't exist by ilford if I hadn't asked the way I asked, so now I'm trying a different tactic, if you don't want to pay the premium for the R&D then don't, but if others are willing to, it could at least possibly be an option if enough people order. And again my proposal doesn't cut into the SFX film line because it doesn't exist in sheet form.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... And again my proposal doesn't cut into the SFX film line because it doesn't exist in sheet form.
    Why shouldn't it?

I mean, everybody's paying a premium for the grainy (and with poor keeping qualities) SFX just because of its (limited) IR sensitivity, not to use it as a normal panchromatic.
    Why not axe that and offer a true IR emulsion? I doubt anyone would miss SFX.

I know that true IR is a different beast, and maybe the sensitizing dyes are really expensive and not easily available, and since Ilford doesn't have an in-house IR formula they'll have to R&D it from scratch, but I'm just saying that the argument about not introducing a true IR so as not to axe SFX is misguided.

If Simon had the time and patience (and also business clearance) to respond, does Ilford have an IR formula?
    Have small test runs/prototypes been coated internally?
    I.e., if Ilford wanted, could it axe the SFX and replace it with a true IR without huge R&D overhead?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    You are making an assumption there. That Asian film has nothing to do with Maco/Rollei. You should re-read your thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum390/...ufacturer.html
    I re-read the thread, the second post gives a link that specifically says the asian film Reropan 100 is maco film...

And another poster says maco will soon come out with some of their own.

What am I misunderstanding?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by giannisg2004 View Post
    Why shouldn't it?

I mean, everybody's paying a premium for the grainy (and with poor keeping qualities) SFX just because of its (limited) IR sensitivity, not to use it as a normal panchromatic.
    Why not axe that and offer a true IR emulsion? I doubt anyone would miss SFX.

I know that true IR is a different beast, and maybe the sensitizing dyes are really expensive and not easily available, and since Ilford doesn't have an in-house IR formula they'll have to R&D it from scratch, but I'm just saying that the argument about not introducing a true IR so as not to axe SFX is misguided.

If Simon had the time and patience (and also business clearance) to respond, does Ilford have an IR formula?
    Have small test runs/prototypes been coated internally?
    I.e., if Ilford wanted, could it axe the SFX and replace it with a true IR without huge R&D overhead?
    I agree personally. I think SFX is not very useful and people only use it because it's the only thing there and they should REPLACE it with a true IR film, and no one would complain. BUT ilford also made a promise not to discontinue any films, so they are sort of stuck on a promise thy made.

But personally I agree, get rid of SFX and bring in Ilford True IR.

My proposal is just to keep ilford from having to cancel a film, and I think once they see the demand for the true IR in sheet film, they will understand that they need to make it in roll film, but at least make it in sheet.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I re-read the thread, the second post gives a link that specifically says the asian film Reropan 100 is maco film...

And another poster says maco will soon come out with some of their own.

What am I misunderstanding?
    you made the same mistake *I* did
    the blog said it WASN'T maco
    Agx caught my mis-read.

if you are fluent in japanese
    call or write the otter shop and ask them what it is ?
    the otter shop is in Hokkaido Shari-cho
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-01-2014 at 09:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin