Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,982   Online: 748

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    And they don't want to. Save your "breath."
    I chimed in on this thread rather late and therefor have nothing of consequence to say that hasn't been said... It's just a crying shame that you can't sell infrared film, but you can sell Justin Bieber or Snookie, whoever they are.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Interesting, so how do Fuji do it with Acros100? Isn't that slightly IR?

And heck how do they make regular IR without defects?

Thanks for the info.
    The "regular" IR required a whole bunch of specialized techniques, that only made economic sense in the context of the huge quantities of IR film that were used by the military and other industries (like forestry) for aerial mapping.

The relatively tiny amount of film that ended up in handheld cameras was just a happy byproduct.

And as for the "near IR" films like SFX, the Rollei 400 and films like Acros, their sensitivity just doesn't go into the true IR region.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Guys, you just do not understand the scale of the cost of making just the experiments to get set up for something like this! I've said it before. A simple experiment may cost on the order of $50 - $100 and that return must be realized in sales of the product. A failure in the experimental stage will double the cost.

In the mean-time, digital (sorry to say) can do a quite credible job in both color and B&W.

PE
    Fifty to a hundred bucks?

Weee-hooo! I'll spot that myself in total if they'll do it!

Ok, ok, I know you meant thousands, just funin'.

And I agree. I look forward to using up my Efke 820 in my freezer but after that I think a converted IR digital cam is in my future. I wish I could do it with film, but I'm glad I can do it at all.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I re-read the thread, the second post gives a link that specifically says the asian film Reropan 100 is maco film...

And another poster says maco will soon come out with some of their own.

What am I misunderstanding?
    Your bad English reads this:
    Also Maco/Rollie is now making a new 127, it's currently being re-sold under some weird Asian name,
    You give the impression that it is Maco who makes Rerapan when they don't have anything to do with it.
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Fifty to a hundred bucks?

Weee-hooo! I'll spot that myself in total if they'll do it!

Ok, ok, I know you meant thousands, just funin'.

And I agree. I look forward to using up my Efke 820 in my freezer but after that I think a converted IR digital cam is in my future. I wish I could do it with film, but I'm glad I can do it at all.
    These days he might mean 50 to 100 million.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The "regular" IR required a whole bunch of specialized techniques, that only made economic sense in the context of the huge quantities of IR film that were used by the military and other industries (like forestry) for aerial mapping.

The relatively tiny amount of film that ended up in handheld cameras was just a happy byproduct.
    So what was going on with Efke/Fotokemika? Their whole production scale seems to have been pretty small---I certainly don't think they were supplying any major military customers with IR film, though I suppose they may have inherited technology from someone who was.

I understand the objections raised by PE and others, and of course Simon's comments are dispositive wrt Ilford---but then how is it possible that a single small company with an outdated factory was able to do it? (Probably the outdated technology itself meant they didn't have the IR tools for quality control---but that in itself seems to prove that there are viable alternatives to those tools!)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    So what was going on with Efke/Fotokemika? Their whole production scale seems to have been pretty small---I certainly don't think they were supplying any major military customers with IR film, though I suppose they may have inherited technology from someone who was.

I understand the objections raised by PE and others, and of course Simon's comments are dispositive wrt Ilford---but then how is it possible that a single small company with an outdated factory was able to do it? (Probably the outdated technology itself meant they didn't have the IR tools for quality control---but that in itself seems to prove that there are viable alternatives to those tools!)

-NT
    Thanks for this. I have been sitting here now for hours just itching to ask exactly this same begged question. But didn't because, well, just because.

There must be a workable answer. They were doing it...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 06-02-2014 at 01:19 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Softened...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The guys that can only do small coating runs of less sophisticated emulsions are living hand to mouth.

They need to keep making their best seller to survive and hope their resellers keep buying.

We are lucky that some can do 120 and 4x5 at all.

If Ilford don't think the niche is economic it probably isn't.

The next step might be a new supplier or a restart or another folder. Doing a far IR might be to send a kissogram to Judas rather than just a loss leader.

This is our fault not the suppliers.

The example being my retailer has FP4+16x20 in stock from last years custom Ilford run. Are their no 16x20 cams in UK?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I didn't think to check till just now that Mr Galley himself started this thread. It might have been closed at that time, but the chatter and fellowship would have not consequently gone on.
    Infrared is Kodachrome is Kodabromide and Ilfobrom and Cibachrome. Did I mention how good 3M audio tape had become by the end? All I know to think is that if it's all lost to computers, I'd rather roll over on the other side of the bed, so to speak. What a complete bore.
    Last edited by Tom1956; 06-02-2014 at 02:08 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post

There must be a workable answer. They were doing it...

Ken
    correct tense...

And they went out of business low margin overall profit = loss...

The companies need to make a profit. Their receiver should have the IPR, does anyone want to buy & prototype the film again, and make a loss?

Buy 120 backs 6x9, 6x12 etc. and stock up on SFX and a sturdy tripod.

If SFX is stopped cause we are not buying it in volume

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin