Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,975   Posts: 1,523,638   Online: 1124

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Reply From HARMAN technology Limited Re True IR Film.

Dear All,

As promised I have the feedback from HARMAN regarding requests to produce a true infra red camera film.

The internal R&D review and commercial reviews have been completed and a decision has been reached.

In relation to R&D, we have previously to 2000 produced a number of emulsion models in relation to a true IR film, whilst significant development work would be required to update those models in relation to current raw material availability since originally worked on, it would be possible to produce a film should a R&D programme be progressed.

The main negative issue is in relation to our own automated emulsion preparation systems that aid 100% batch to batch consistency, this depends on a 'minimum' make that can be coated and / or stored dependant on coated volumes. With an IR film this process control system could not be used as immediate coating is required for an IR emulsion to control levels of base fog which are critical.

Therefore coated volumes produced would be uneconomical against the investment required, in relation to the size of the worldwide market, even allowing for our ability to coat 'small' volumes.

Secondary, to have any hope of reaching a commercially viable coated volume it would also mean that the EXTENDED Red film ILFORD SFX would need to be withdrawn if a true IR film was to be embarked upon. This would go against our stated market position where NO ILFORD Photo product in relation to our monochrome ranges will be withdrawn. ILFORD SFX has a very loyal following, and has unique attributes in relation to architectural photography that cannot be replicated with a full IR film.

The management of HARMAN technology Limited have therefore decided NOT to progress with a true IR film at this time. Our extended red film SFX film in 35mm and 120 roll film will obviously remain in full manufacture and availability.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology LImited :

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for the work, and the careful consideration given to the idea, by all involved at Ilford.

Maybe there might be an opportunity here to spread the word about SFX, perhaps even the multi-packs with filters as promotions again?

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not unexpected, but sad to hear

Thank you Simon, for keeping us informed. Your dedication to customer relations and keeping the lines of communication open are impressive. I remain a huge Ilford fan, not just because the products are so consistently good, but because of you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    =[ oh well, maybe later on in the future then. Its funny though that long expired HIE though is still being snapped up on ebay for ~$30 a roll.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, that's sad
    Maybe some other manufacturer will look into it since you clearly stated Ilford won't do it.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Does someone know a source for some Efke 820 Aura/35mm? I have a to finish a projct in spring, and I am running out of ammunition... I just need 10 rolls.

And today my last hope died.
    Last edited by cmo; 12-12-2012 at 06:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for considering the request and reporting back in detail on the reasons for your decision. I can't think of another major manufacturer that would take the trouble to do this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    ILFORD SFX has a very loyal following, and has unique attributes in relation to architectural photography that cannot be replicated with a full IR film.
    Hi Simon, I have to admit that I've never tried SFX - I must give it a go over summer here in Sydney. Can you explain what you mean by its characteristics in regards to architectural photography, as that is one subject I will try it with.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    My very last hope:

Wouldit be possible to make an SFX without antihalation layer? That would be a good substitute for Efke's "Aura", adding the benefit of Ilford quality control.

Many of us miss this effect:

Attachment 61119
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    The main negative issue is in relation to our own automated emulsion preparation systems that aid 100% batch to batch consistency, this depends on a 'minimum' make that can be coated and / or stored dependant on coated volumes.

Is that consistency really needed?
    Could not each batch offered as "special run", without spoiling the quality/consistency Ilford/Harman have built up? Such a film would only be bought be a special clientele, which themselves (due to the matter of IR lighting/reflectance) would likely not produce consistent results even by using a film stock with consistent characteristics.

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin