Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,881   Posts: 1,520,510   Online: 833

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs View Post
    The big problem is the discontinuance of slide mounts for the mounting machines Kodak sold here. No 35mm slide mounting, theyre scouring the world for a solution!
    One of the leading manufacturers of slide-mounting machines was located in Germany. They left that product sector in 2009...

Maybe one of the remaining slide-mount manufacturers could consider to make mounts compatible to those machines. But most probably that would mean being paid for the whole operation including tools...
    Last edited by AgX; 12-30-2012 at 05:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In Germany the situation quite good, I read somewhere (sorry, no source) that Germany always had the largest per capita consumption of positive film worldwide. There are pro-labs doing dip and dunk in all the large cities. Also we have the giant labs that service the mom and pop photo stores and drugstores, with a turnaround of less than a week. I personally drop off my films at my regular photo store, while they do c-41 in a minilab themselves, they send e-6 to Fuji. I pay 3 Euros ($3.96) per film (135/120), with a turnaround of 4 working days. Quality has always been perfect. The drug stores are even cheaper, however, I like the personal contact in my store that sends them off to fuji. 135 you can still order framed. Pro Labs are obviously pricier, I attached a current price-list of a local one I sometimes use for important stuff. ("Kleinbild" means 135, SW=BW, prices are in Euro and include 19% VAT)

Kind regards from Germany.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2012-12-30 at 12.52.12 PM.png  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

E-6 Pro Labs Worlwide

Quote Originally Posted by rhcgn View Post
    In Germany the situation quite good, I read somewhere (sorry, no source) that Germany always had the largest per capita consumption of positive film worldwide. There are pro-labs doing dip and dunk in all the large cities. Also we have the giant labs that service the mom and pop photo stores and drugstores, with a turnaround of less than a week. I personally drop off my films at my regular photo store, while they do c-41 in a minilab themselves, they send e-6 to Fuji. I pay 3 Euros ($3.96) per film (135/120), with a turnaround of 4 working days. Quality has always been perfect. The drug stores are even cheaper, however, I like the personal contact in my store that sends them off to fuji. 135 you can still order framed. Pro Labs are obviously pricier, I attached a current price-list of a local one I sometimes use for important stuff. ("Kleinbild" means 135, SW=BW, prices are in Euro and include 19% VAT)

Kind regards from Germany.
    $4! That's so cheap!! I would stop home processing E-6 if it were that cheap here...

Also, question, are the slide mounts that were discontinued paper or plastic? When I was visiting Dwayne's Photo in 2010 the son told me they they has considered using the plastic slides "like everybody else" but decided they prefer the paper and were sticking to that.

So I'm curious whether they are going to have an issue or not.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stone,

The slide-mounts I was refering to were two-part plastic ones.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rhcgn View Post
    In Germany the situation quite good, I read somewhere (sorry, no source) that Germany always had the largest per capita consumption of positive film worldwide. There are pro-labs doing dip and dunk in all the large cities.
    Those labs are getting less. In my vicinity there is a city of 250,000. There is no analogue lab (neither film nor paper) left I know of.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

South Africa:

I don't shoot any slide film anymore, since the one local semi decent lab here in Bloemfontein has stopped E6 a few years ago (and things are looking worse as they do not want to, but can, process my 120 C41 film, citing something to the effect that they have little control over the 120 but 35mm is fine.

There are labs in the larger cities that still handle E6 processing

Sandton, Johannesburg: http://www.thergbpixellab.co.za/

Cape Town: http://www.ormsdirect.co.za/ (under services, they are a photographic store with processing facilities, sadly they sell very little traditional photographic materials)

Durban: http://www.fotomax.co.za/pages/print.html

there are probably more that I do not know about

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    With the discontinuance of kodaks E-6 family and the reduction in Fuji's equivalents, As a pro lab owner I am very curious so to what labs further afield are planning in the coming year? How many labs are still running E-6 in your area and how fast are their turn around times? do they process via drum, roller transport, or dip and dunk?
    While At current my Dip and Dunk line is healthy I am trying to speculate on 2013 and 2014 years of Operation and information on what other labs around the world are doing would be very handy.

Steve Frizza
    The Lighthouse Lab
    In Dallas, TX: BWC Photo Imaging

They don't seem to specify how their E-6 process works, but their prices have gone up [Last time I went there, I paid $9/05 for unmounted E-6, 36exp.].

35mm:
    E-6 mounted: 24 exposures $10/95, 36 exposures $12/50.
    E-6 unmounted: 24 exp $10/15, 36 exp $11/15.

AFAIK, it's the only E-6 lab in the Dallas area. Another lab in this area [its name escapes me at this moment] stopped developing film 5-6 years ago, and now sends all its film orders to BWC.
    Phone 528-4200 [in Dallas]
    Toll-Free +1 (800) 445-0264
    Web http://bwc.net

Turn-around time is usually the next day for film processing. If I remember from my last visit there, they do a single run of E-6 daily.

It may not be long for this world, as the owner has expressed an interest to sell its current building and move elsewhere [there is a huge sign inside the lab detailing this]. This could mean one of two things: that the last remaining E-6 lab in Dallas will soon close for good, or move to an even more obscure location. [It's currently located behind the Parkland hospital and its mammoth parking lots] But the big "FOR SALE" sign has been there for the better part of two years, so I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon.

-R, which means the closest lab from me is ~25 miles away.
    Last edited by ricardo12458; 01-02-2013 at 03:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    $4! That's so cheap!! I would stop home processing E-6 if it were that cheap here...

$3.7 for a roll of E-6 developed and scanned here in China. The quality is top notch but these slides come back unmounted.

Shooter
    35mm
    Had a chat with Darren who runs the e6/c41 dip'n'dunk at Vision Imagelab today and while they continue to use kodak e6 chems they will keep processing e6 as long as possible/the materials are still produced. Too bad they charge $7 per 4x5 sheet...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In Edmonton, there is one place that accepts E-6 - Don's Photo. But, none of their Edmonton stores do E-6 so it gets sent to Winnipeg and has a 2-week turnaround. It costs I think $17-$19 per 36 exposure roll of 35mm to be processed and mounted (no prints or scans). Needless to say, I don't shoot much E-6.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin