Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,706   Online: 824

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Before starting a project you need a clear market analysis to check if there is a viable market for such a item, and some scope of the related costs for R+D and production and time frame for launch. Have you done a market study on the current state of Polaroid films such as through the impossible project, or fuji instax products, or the Zink printer makers? You need to research and have a clear understanding of their technology and related products, and their delivery of these products to whatever market segment they aimed for.

Also I dont think kickstarter allows projects anymore without a prototype as lots of people were scammed when nifty videos were made and companies did not deliver on their products.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I got some ideas. I'd have to be part of the action tho'

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck94022 View Post
    I woke up this morning with an idea for a teleporting rocket ship that fits in my backpack. I contacted NASA but they have not returned my call.

Boeing said they will help me once I have a prototype, but I don't have those skills.

I would show you my pencil sketches but I am under an NDA.

I'll be starting a kick starter project. Who wants in?
    *waves* Me, me, me. I've an Australian 10 shilling note and a £5 Jessops voucher and to start you off...
    testing...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ken1234 View Post
    I dont have any of those skills
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Before starting a project you need a clear market analysis to check if there is a viable market for such a item, and some scope of the related costs for R+D and production and time frame for launch. Have you done a market study on the current state of Polaroid films such as through the impossible project, or fuji instax products, or the Zink printer makers?
    It's a common pattern I see with many of these "I have a great idea" startup projects. Creative inventors and marketers need a prototype (ideally for free) before they want to invest money and effort into what appears to be real work for them: inventing and marketing. And engineers want to see a real market for a product before they want to invest money and effort into what appears to be real work for them: converting a fuzzy idea into a working product.

None of the involved parties want to spend money and effort on something that might not even bear fruit unless there is a strong potential to make big money once the work is done. So either someone (ideally Ken1234) draws up a convincing business plan or I don't see this going anywhere.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Personally I can't see anything wrong with the present range of instant cameras. In the present climate it's difficult to believe there would be any substantial market for something new, particularly if it were film-based, as who would want to make the film, especially if it competed with their own existing systems & films.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Looking for instant film camera developers. **new product concept**

I think there was a slight resurgence with the instant cameras, but not large enough of a blip to cause any significant change in new instant camera ownership or instant film sales that would ultimately drive the economies of scale to push down prices and drive up quality through competition.

So far impossible has been plagued by unstable films over time, as well as the need to shade ejected films right after capture. Something that Polaroid solved in the past that they have to resolve with considerably less technical staff and capital.

Zink was a neat concept but it never seemed to catch on, I have never once seen a unit out in the wild. Only online and rarely in stores. Print size was also tiny and I don't think it had much capacity for larger image sizes generated by higher resolution cameras.

Fuji also seems to try and keep the ball rolling, the instax wide is neat, and I've seen their smaller instax cameras used on the street and even a friend of mine had one. Still very pricey.

Polaroid seems to be going the other way now, they just launched a fotobar concept where customers bring in digital media to print and frame in a retail setting. Kinda like a big Kodak kiosk but one that lets you put fancy frames on your pictures. Not sure if it's done while you wait or if there is a later pickup date or delivery. Not really sure where they are going with this as many online retailers for photo printing offer similar options for framing(an most likely cheaper as the costs are lower than a b&m store). And I've never seen anyone say that they need a print from their phone on the wall framed and matted right this instant to demand such speedy service (if Polaroid ever provides it on site).

Your idea would have to be quite revolutionary, or maybe well marketed at the incredibly wealthy suckers out there haha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin