Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,209   Posts: 1,531,966   Online: 1164

Shooter
    Multi Format

Looking for a Shanghai film

I need to buy some CHEAP B&W film in 120 format. Looking here, I understand Shanghai is the least expensive and only available on ebay now. I'd rather not use ebay but if I must, I will, I guess.

Can someone recommend me a good seller, as I have zero experience?

Also, looks like most of them come from overseas like Hongkong. Most dealers say tax and duties are buyers responsibility. In US, what is your experience? Say for 20 rolls at about $25 dollars, what do the authority/shipping companies do?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have dealt repeatedly with those ladies/gentlemen within last 3-4 years: http://stores.ebay.com/isaacchen?_rdc=1
    They used to sell now gone ERA100, that is how I found them.

Have had no issues whatsoever with them, 5-star experience only.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The least expensive, aside from lucking into cheap outdated film, is probably Freestyle's "Arista.EDU Ultra" which is rebranded Foma, though I just checked and it has gone up a bit since the last I bought at $2.89 a roll. Now it's a touch over $3, $3.09 for the 100 and $3.19 for the 200 and 400. Still pretty inexpensive. I have several rolls of the 400 and a box of 4x5 in my film fridge. It's definitely old school (though thankfully I've not experienced the pinholes that some have) but kind of fun. Definitely grainy, the 400 looks like 400 film used to look.

I've never seen anything like 20 rolls for 25 dollars. If I see that I'll buy some.

I just bought 12 rolls of E100G from Thailand off eBay. No fees, duties, etc. other than the shipping from Thailand, which is pretty cheap. I've had the same experience with "Agfa" (now re-branded Fuji) Precisa film from Hong Kong. In many countries they can ship to us for prices that are a fraction of what it would cost us to ship it back to them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by werra View Post
    I have dealt repeatedly with those ladies/gentlemen within last 3-4 years: http://stores.ebay.com/isaacchen?_rdc=1
    They used to sell now gone ERA100, that is how I found them.

Have had no issues whatsoever with them, 5-star experience only.
    I'd never seen this before, thanks for the link. Some great prices that might make it worth trying but the shipping makes it less so. 20 rolls at just a buck a roll looks great, until you factor in shipping. The final price is still pretty good but no longer quite so amazing. Some of the other items are pretty interesting though and price with shipping is still tempting on some.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Looking for a Shanghai film

I'm a huge fan of Shanghai GP3 but not at that price once you add in shipping.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you find anything less expensive than this, shipped and delivered, I'll be surprised.

http://www.ultrafineonline.com/ulplblwhfiis4.html
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hum... I can't find the listing that I saw this morning anymore. It was 20 rolls for $20 out of Hong Kong and free shipping. I guess it was a mistake.

I'm needing some rolls to test my RB. I've been cutting my Tmax in half to make two rolls from one for this purpose. I thought, if I can get it for a buck or two, that may have been worth buying. But I guess not...

Thanks everybody.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    127 Format
    Even Fujifilm Acros 100 is amazingly low priced in 120. It is a wonderful film.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Even Fujifilm Acros 100 is amazingly low priced in 120. It is a wonderful film.
    Yep, totally agree with you there. I shot 7 rolls of this film this week. Can't wait to see the results.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin