Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,934   Online: 1029

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Seems unlikely, as Ektar 100 came out less than 5 years ago. Unless Kodak, having stopped making film, decided to make a brand new film, do a big run of it, then stop making again.

I won't say the shop worker is an idiot, he's just ignorant of the facts.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's a shame because the shop is family owned and he is the son of the owner.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricus.stormfire View Post
    Yeah, I've heard a similar story from a sales person regarding Ilford.....4 years ago......complain, that is the best you can do, because slapping an idiot in public is illegal.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    As a film shooter, I was often dismayed to find camera shops didn't stock film and were ignorant of what was available. Now, as the owner of a camera shop specializing in film photography, I understand the situation better. Most film makes very little profit and there is the real risk that the film will expire and you are stuck with it, erasing whatever profit you might have made in the first place. Unless a shop specializes in film photography, there is really no point in carrying it. Camera stores make MUCH MORE profit selling a lens cleaning cloth than they do on a roll of film, with much less risk and effort.

As a film photography speciality shop, we sell more film than a regular camera shop because we attract film photographers. The risk is reduced. We still don't make much money on roll film, but at least it moves and we are supporting our community of film photographers. There is another shop in town (Glass Key Photo) that is even more adventurous than we are in catering to the film community. They stock odd sizes like 127 and 620 (and 8mm movie film). Again, because they are a known source for film, they have a steady (if barely profitable) business.

Roll film seems to be an economic contradiction because it is scarce but has low margins. But it's not true because most film sales take place online. Internet giants like Amazon and B&H actually sell film online for less than what we pay to our wholesaler! I'm not complaining. This is just the world we (photographers and camera shops) live in, and there are good things and bad things about it. I myself buy film online if it's something I can't find locally. We just have to adapt.

My bottom-line message is that conventional camera stores can no longer be the center of the film photography community. They can't afford to be. If film photographers want a LOCAL source of information, support, encouragement, and (best of all) a supply of fresh film, find an independent camera shop or gallery or workspace or community arts center that shares the passion. Support them, buy from them, and spread the word.

I'll give you an example. I like to brew beer, but if I were to go into Beverages and More and ask for some Wyeast 1275 top-fermenting yeast I would get a strange look and maybe a call to security. But when I go to the tiny beer brewing shop on the outskirts of town, I get exactly what I want, some insider tips on how to use it, plus a big hug and a glass of beer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    It's a shame because the shop is family owned and he is the son of the owner.
    you only know what you know ... right

if no one buys film and paper at his store ( for the most part )
    and the distributer mainly brings in ilford, foma and fuji,
    and there is all the gloomy news about the bankruptcy ...
    and you don't know any better then it makes sense

i know if i wasn't involved in chemical based photography, i would probably think they were not making film either ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Well most stores don't have film any way so I don't complain about them not having film. I am complaining the misinformation he gave me. He said Kodak stopped making film 5 years ago and only selling their stock. He emphasis this is year number 5 to the supply should be at the end now. Misinform customers is a very bad thing for business. If you only work there may be you don't care but it's almost his store too. He isn't just a cheaply paid employee.
    Last edited by Chan Tran; 02-25-2013 at 04:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Well most stores don't have film any way so I don't complain about them not having film. I am complaining the misinformation he gave me. He said Kodak stopped making film 5 years ago and only selling their stock. He emphasis this is year number 5 to the supply should be at the end now. Misinform customers is a very bad thing for business. If you only work there may be you don't care but it's almost his store too. He isn't just a cheaply paid employee.
    yeah, that isn't good ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vdonovan View Post
    As a film photography speciality shop, we sell more film than a regular camera shop because we attract film photographers.

There is another shop in town (Glass Key Photo) that is even more adventurous than we are in catering to the film community.
    Sorry I did not find you when in town visting last summer.

I did drop into Glass Key, gab for an hour, and restock on a 5 pack of Provia and a bunch of photo themed pins and fridge magnets.
    Plus browsing the records of Ricky's or whatever the used record store was called he is in was fun too.

Wierdly I found 2- makes 10L e-6 reversal bath bottles on clearance at Gassers for a few bucks, and they actually flew home ok in my luggage, and are working great
    On the other hand my wife's by of bbq sauce dissappeared en route.

So your shop will make destination #2 for next time I am in your part of the world. #1 is Green Apple used book stores.
    #3 is the used record store in the old bowling alley.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vdonovan View Post

As a film photography speciality shop, we sell more film than a regular camera shop because we attract film photographers. The risk is reduced. We still don't make much money on roll film, but at least it moves and we are supporting our community of film photographers.
    What's the name of your shop? I'll visit next time I'm in the Bay Area.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    Seems unlikely, as Ektar 100 came out less than 5 years ago. Unless Kodak, having stopped making film, decided to make a brand new film, do a big run of it, then stop making again.

I won't say the shop worker is an idiot, he's just ignorant of the facts.
    He is an ignorant idiot, and if his family has him meeting the public, it may run in the family
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin