Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,492   Online: 812

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I've got some Portra 400 and Tri-X that expire in late 2014/early 2015. I'd say they are still making the stuff; they don't put 7 year expiration dates on their film.
    Pentax MZ-S, Calumet 4x5 Monorail

Favorite Films: Foma 100, Acros 100, Delta 400, Portra 400.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    He isn't just a cheaply paid employee.
    Chances are that he is less than a well-paid future owner, however. Being the heir-apparent to a family business is generally not all that it is cracked up to be.
    If his experience is similar to mine, then it is expected that he will go that extra mile, put in extra hours, and all for less money than the top producing employee because, after all, someday, "all this will be his."

Didn't work out for me, and, chances may be good that he already can see that it isn't going to work out for him.

I'm not saying this isn't a good family business with a solid plan for its existence into future generations of the family, but history shows ample examples to the contrary . . . owners who claim with pride that they "built this place with their own two hands" and feel that know one else deserves to profit from their efforts.

Not passing judgement on this business, just pointing out that there may well be a second side to this "coin".

Caruso

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If Kodak makes film , where are they. All Kodak Express labs sells Fuji film here. I think if they put 3 rolls of Kodak film in to their display , they dont banktrupt. All photograph related sellers are losers and find a digital camera , cracked photoshop and 25 year old print machine and 5th party chemical products are profitable at wedding thing. Its a business like selling potato at grocery , not more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    If Kodak makes film , where are they. All Kodak Express labs sells Fuji film here. I think if they put 3 rolls of Kodak film in to their display , they dont banktrupt. All photograph related sellers are losers and find a digital camera , cracked photoshop and 25 year old print machine and 5th party chemical products are profitable at wedding thing. Its a business like selling potato at grocery , not more.
    My local Walgreen's drug store used to carry Kodak film, and then it became scarce. The rare occasion they had it, they'd put it directly on the "close-out" rack at half price
    I know it wasn't a supply issue. Now the drug store carries Fuji, and it's on the regular rack at full price They still carry single-use Kodak (and Fuji) cameras.

I cannot be sure, but I think many stores were worried about the Kodak bankruptcy filing, and switched to Fuji so they could still carry film. I'm just guessing. It is also possible Fuji offered a better wholesale contract, or that while Kodak supplies existed, the ability to process or distribute that supply faltered.

Addressing your grocery store analogy, we have a large chain of grocery stores called Giant Eagle. For nearly 10 years, some of our favorite items have been "discontinued." We found, however, only Giant Eagle discontinued them - we can still find the items everywhere else. Apparently the grocery store would rather maximize profits than offer a choice. My solution - I rarely shop there anymore. My business goes everywhere else.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Well I think it still does but last Sat I stopped by a local shop and asked for some Kodak film and they said Kodak stopped making film 5 years ago and only selling what they have in stock. Isn't it true. He said he can not get any more Ektar or Portra. I think he didn't say the truth but I am not sure. What do you think?
    They're full of sh!t. Tell them I said so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neither Kodak nor Fuji have sold directly to retailers for years. There are intervening distributors (in some cases more than one) who have contributed greatly to the problems we have in finding film on shelves.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Every time you hear this from a camera shop, you'll notice they have plenty of digital cameras to sell you. The dedicated places that still support and develop film won't feed you this line of BS.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

A few years ago I got into it with the manager of camera store in a local mall. He told me I was wasting my time and should go digital. Film is dead. Funny, they still sell film and paper (only Ilford HP5, FP4, RC paper), some chemistry, and have a healthy turnover of used film cameras. DSLR sales are suffering. We have to realize that these people are just towing the party line, but please stop brainwashing people that film is dead.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Digital is dead. And the rotting corpse stinks to high heaven.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Neither Kodak nor Fuji have sold directly to retailers for years. There are intervening distributors (in some cases more than one) who have contributed greatly to the problems we have in finding film on shelves.
    Not quite true. Over here Fuji was the brand you typically found at every photo shop.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin