Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,710   Posts: 1,548,637   Online: 1130

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I'm willing to buy 2 30m rolls of of the 3 5/8" film and a couple rolls of the 70mm film as well. HP5+ or FP4+, either one is fine with me as long as it is on the 120 base. The sheet base film is a bit hard to roll up.
    If I can afford more when the order window is open, I will order more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    3 and 5 / 8ths film, It 'could' be possible, I think we would need something like 80 orders of 30m bulk lengths, just to cover the time to set and re-set the slitters it would need to be in a 'generic' box, not tubbed. I will have it checked out. It could only be one film HP5+ is my guess?
    That would be wonderful. I can order couple 30m rolls as well. Actually I think slower film would be preferable because it will be used in older cameras that were made when faster film did not exist. Many of them don't have faster shutter speeds needed for daylight shooting. However, I am personally not picky, I can always stick ND filter on, so HP5+ would still be great for that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I often think the best thing for older cameras would be XP2. It's practically impossible to overexpose C41 film. Under any light where the fixed settings would produce proper exposure with anything from EI 800 down to at least 50 and probably 25 it would produce a good print from the negative.

As long as we're putting in requests, I'd love to have XP2 Super in 4x5. I don't think we'll get it because of the difficulty these days in getting C41 sheet film commercially processed, which is bound to severely limit the demand and potential sales. But if I could get it, I'd use it, stock C41 chems for my Jobo and shoot it in 35mm, 120 and 4x5. But since I can't get it in 4x5 I don't usually bother with it in any other format either. It's a wonderful film, both for conventional printing and for things verbotten to discuss hereabouts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My turn, as usual, and with no angry agenda, isn't freedom of speech great?

At a minimum: FP4+ in 11x14, not just in the annual run but in a retail store or two. I'll be dead by the time Freestyle decides to bring in a new 25 ISO in 11x14. That's their business though, mine is desire.

Next: Pan F in 5x7, 8x10, 11x14. Available in a retail store or special order.

I realize that ALL of these are impossible but why 11x14 in FP4+ isn't available in a retail store here in the states is beyond me. Also, people can be short dated. Older folks see a year differently than younger folks. I can imagine a board room full of suits saying old people dont need big film, those formats are too heavy. I can also imagine a time in the near future where an annual run is 2X the cost and 1/2 the quantity.

Your mileage may, (will), vary! Each person has their own point of view, needs, wants, desires, and aspirations.

What ever your fortune, good luck.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    ...why 11x14 in FP4+ isn't available in a retail store here in the states is beyond me...
    Very simple. Retailers know from experience that it won't sell before expiring. So they don't stock it. There are some sizes/emulsions offered in the annual special order program that certain resellers know will move later in the year, so they order extra boxes as store stock. FP4 Plus in 11x14 isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    ...I can also imagine a time in the near future where an annual run is 2X the cost and 1/2 the quantity...
    Why do you imagine that? I have seen more items offered each year and price increases have generally tracked those for stock Ilford products.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I thought so, yes. And the last Portra I bought, last fall, had reasonably far out expiration dates.

As I said above I'm tempted to go 100% Ilford for black and white. I'd like to support those who best support us, and their materials are superb and I could be quite happy using just Ilford for black and white but that doesn't help with color.
    Agreed. It is time for film shooters to "put their money where there mouth is" and support Ilford. No company anywhere is doing more to keep film alive than Ilford. Every roll of b & w film shot on Kodak or Fuji is one less modicum of support for Ilford.

I LOVE Acros film, but once my supply runs out, I'm going to move towards Ilford. Once my supply of Tri-X is out, I am done with it. Fuji's support of film is moderate and Kodak's is nonexistent.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Agreed. It is time for film shooters to "put their money where there mouth is" and support Ilford. No company anywhere is doing more to keep film alive than Ilford. Every roll of b & w film shot on Kodak or Fuji is one less modicum of support for Ilford.

I LOVE Acros film, but once my supply runs out, I'm going to move towards Ilford. Once my supply of Tri-X is out, I am done with it. Fuji's support of film is moderate and Kodak's is nonexistent.
    Yea, I agree, however fuji has both Velvia which I love and Acros which actually I don't love, but the reciprocity failure rate is what I love, if Ilford could match that with some new FP5 ("FP4++"? hmm maybe "FP4Super"! I would never need any other B&W film at least.

PS Simon... Fuji is discontinuing all their 220 rolls... if you can give them a low ball offer for their currently running equipment for that, now's the time I know you said it wasn't viable to do as a new production investment, but buying out fuji who will probably toss it in the garbage otherwise might be worth it perhaps?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The best thing you can do to support Ilford is to actively support the entire industry. Buying and using and printing Kodak film helps Ilford and Fuji and Tetenal and Oriental and Moersch and ....
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    ...Fuji is discontinuing all their 220 rolls... if you can give them a low ball offer for their currently running equipment for that, now's the time...
    I had the same idea about QuickLoad finishing equipment, hoping for Delta 100 packets. Unfortunately, even if Fuji were willing to sell it to HARMAN (most unlikely), the cost of disassembly, transport to Mobberley and reassembly would be hundreds of thousands of dollars. Not economically viable given the small potential market size and limits on what users would be willing pay for the product.

I suspect similar circumstances prevail with respect to Fuji's 220 finishing equipment.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I had the same idea about QuickLoad finishing equipment, hoping for Delta 100 packets. Unfortunately, even if Fuji were willing to sell it to HARMAN (most unlikely), the cost of disassembly, transport to Mobberley and reassembly would be hundreds of thousands of dollars. Not economically viable given the small potential market size and limits on what users would be willing pay for the product.

I suspect similar circumstances prevail with respect to Fuji's 220 finishing equipment.
    That's true, when I was at Dwayne's, he told me that they were trying to GIVE AWAY the machine that processed Kodachrome and a few museums were interested until they found out the size and the cost of disassembly and transport etc, and so I think it ended up going to the dump ... I can't be sure of course I never called to confirm but as of the last day of official acceptance of film, they hadn't found anyone to take it. I guess that's possible with this too, it was worth mentioning though.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin