Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,155   Online: 1044

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by julhu View Post
    I can not give you a definitive confirmation on anything, but a major German chain of drug stores (DM) has recently (1 or 2 months ago) changed their supplier for their house brand film. It used to be "Made in USA", now it is "Made in Asia". I'm pretty sure that the Asia-version is made by Fuji, because the film cans are identical to Fujis and the catridges are identical to Rossmann's (their main competitor) house brand film which is labelled "Made in Japan". So I'm assuming Fuji is still active in the rebranding game.
    Exactly.
    The new dm drugstore films are made by FujiFilm now. Kodak has lost this big client.
    A friend of mine told me that one of the bigger supermarket chains in the US (I think it is Target) also recently switched from Kodak to Fuji.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    I thought Ferrania was starting production back up? Maybe someplace else?
    That is not about Ferrania (Ferrania Technologies) but Film Ferrania. In this case that distinguation seems important.

OEM films are bought in by the chain-stores companies by the price. In this case manufacturers already cranking out a huge amount of film (in absolute terms, non-withstanding their decrease in machinery-effectivity) are still better off than a company re-starting on a low volume after years of standstill in film-making.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look at what Ilford did before they went bankrupt.

They sold OEM film to places like Freestyle and Fine Art Photo Supply, and probably many others. While volume can be good in terms of market share, if you make little to no profit on each sale (especially since people quickly figure out they could buy FP4+ for very little money), then you quickly eat into the total profitability of the company. Every sale must count.

Now that they are a healthy and sustainable company, they don't use their own emulsions for OEM purposes anymore.

I can't say that I blame Fuji for not supplying OEM films anymore. In pure economic terms, profit is better than volume.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    One small defect there is that "Asia" is not a country.
    True. I was surprised to see it printed on the box. But since there is already a "Made in EU," I guess "Made in Asia" is possible, too.
    Maybe Fuji doesn't want them to print "Made in Japan" on their boxes, as people would figure out easily that it is made by Fuji.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Look at what Ilford did before they went bankrupt.

They sold OEM film to places like Freestyle and Fine Art Photo Supply, and probably many others. While volume can be good in terms of market share, if you make little to no profit on each sale (especially since people quickly figure out they could buy FP4+ for very little money), then you quickly eat into the total profitability of the company. Every sale must count.

Now that they are a healthy and sustainable company, they don't use their own emulsions for OEM purposes anymore.

I can't say that I blame Fuji for not supplying OEM films anymore. In pure economic terms, profit is better than volume.
    I agree with your thinking. OTOH, many non-photographic companies supply their own "quality" branded products and also manufacture similar lower-priced "own-brand" products, often to be sold in the same shops....thereby selling to two different types of customer. Though maybe not as applicable now in the restricted market for any photographic film.

Although, IIRC correctly, Ilford have said that while they don't use the "Ilford" emulsions for other labels, they certainly manufacture their Kentmere films with different emulsions to tap into different markets.

(And we still have no confirmation that Fuji is "not supplying OEM films anymore"!!!)

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    One small defect there is that "Asia" is not a country.
    What about this designation of origin on Hong-Kong based Haking cameras?

"Empire Made"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    What about this designation of origin on Hong-Kong based Haking cameras?

"Empire Made"
    Those were the days!

Shooter
    35mm
    In the 1950 era some Hong kong stuff was labelled "Made in the British empire" or "British made" or "Made in British crown colony" when they could get away with it.

Besides the Americans, I am not sure how many countries insist on country of origin being marked on products. I know here the dealer can just have the goods marked with "Imported BY..." (but of course if they give a location it must be factual)

To get back to the Gist of the thread, I am wondering how many retailers are ordering ENOUGH film to make private label products viable? The minimums are likely still in the Thousands of rolls, with a take or pay clause if the retailer does not order the full quantity of the contract.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Maybe the same company that makes the Shantou ERA 100 b&w film. I love that stuff. I shoot a load of it.
    Anything is possible. The ERA film I have used came in a Clear plastic container that looked like a copy of a Fuji can made by someone who had only seen a photo of one. All the dimensions are different! the Era also came in a "snap Cap" cassette rather than a crimped cassette. I will agree that it seemed to be an excellent film and I am sorry that I have not seen any for sale latly, and that the vendor who last sold me some claimed that it was no longer made.

As far as the Sunny, I did get a chance to compare the can that the Sunny came in to a can that some Arista Colour, Known ot be made by Ferannia came in. Other than the markings being slightly less distinct that were almost identical. The only substantive difference I could see what the Sunny Can did not have a mould number on the inside of the Lid. Imnation did have a plant in the US as well as in Italy for COnveting film for sale, and perhaps both had tooling to make the cans, so one set of tooling may be now in China. A slightly different mix of Polyethylene could account for the slightly less sharp markings on the Sunny film can. The lids did interchange.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All we need to do is see the rebate of said film we're discussing here. That will point to who it is.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin