Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,617   Online: 787

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK. for those who still insist that there is gloom and doom out there, I speak to many of the vendors. No Forte is not going under! There is an investor that has stepped forward and has helped Forte out. In fact a couple of those investors are apug members. I leave it up to them if they want to say who they are, and what they expect in the future.

A good diea is to bury this thread and realize that all this does is cause undue panic.
    Non Digital Diva

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    OK. for those who still insist that there is gloom and doom out there....... A good diea is to bury this thread and realize that all this does is cause undue panic.
    Earlier, "peters" said
    Since J+C sells rebranded Forte Films why doesn't someone ask them instead. Might actually get a real answer or are rumors so much more fun?
    Why the peevish tone? I don't see anyone spreading "doom and gloom" or having fun with rumors. Sorry, Aggie, but let's face it: several of the principal manufacturers that make the stuff that we need have recently been, or currently are, on shaky ground. Why wouldn't we be concerned. Why wouldn't we be looking for the latest news? Why should this thread be buried?
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the support Doug.

But I do sort of see what these folks are getting at. I tried to put a disclaimer on my post to ensure that I wasn't trying to pronounce Forte dead...just trying to get others to chime in if they knew otherwise.

There's been a lot of "profiteering" by retailers in Canada it seems over Ilford's fate. I've heard tell of retailers claiming that paper price would more than double in the coming months. Doubtless hysteria makes some of these pronouncements more credible than they would be otherwise.

Right now then, it seems like Forte is living and breathing; but it looks like a very, very attractively-priced source for their products (Arista.EDU) is probably history.

Oh well, FreeStyle's reward for rumor-mongering over Forte's fate will be that I don't intend to buy so much as a stirring paddle from them in the future!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On a positive note, I've seen a large influx of Agfa products in my local store, including (at my behest ) Rodinal! In quantity! I'm starting to get pretty friendly with Agfa papers now that I have a nearby supplier. Since Ilford fired their local rep. the guys at the store say it's more difficult and time consuming to get Ilford products in. It's a shame because that's about all I've ever used, but at least now I'm broadening my horizons!

Quote Originally Posted by peters
    Since J+C sells rebranded Forte Films why doesn't someone ask them instead. Regards Peter
    Forte is in production and under receivership at this time. We just got word that our order for large format Classic 400 films has shipped (8x10, 7x17, 8x20 and 12x20). Paper has also been shipped. We anticipate additional shipments of other films (4x5 and 5x7), roll films and papers in a few weeks.

As I have indicated on other threads, Forte surviving is dependent on finding a price structure that makes sense. The old way of selling at cost or below to keep the production line going doesn't work anymore. There are potential investors. It's all going to boil down to being able to sell the right quanity of film at a price that makes them a profit. It's not going to be a bargin basement product anymore and the market will decide if the product is good enough to justify the pricing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jandc
    We anticipate additional shipments of other films (4x5 and 5x7), roll films and papers in a few weeks.
    Will J&C be carrying re-branded Polygrade V or just the Poly Warmtone under the "Classic" banner?

If so, J&C can expect to pick up the business from a customer FreeStyle just alienated (i.e. myself).

Quote Originally Posted by aldevo
    Will J&C be carrying re-branded Polygrade V or just the Poly Warmtone under the "Classic" banner?

If so, J&C can expect to pick up the business from a customer FreeStyle just alienated (i.e. myself).
    Our Neutral Tone paper is the Ploygrade. Currently we only carry it in 12x16 fiber. If there is an interest we will add to the offerings.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Our Neutral Tone paper is the Ploygrade. Currently we only carry it in 12x16 fiber. If there is an interest we will add to the offerings.
    That's good news about Forte. The 200 speed film is amazing. Freestyle got too big and are not the fun, bargain basement place they used to be. Many may not realize it, but Freestyle were the first to import Efke film here in the late 1990s. They abruptly stopped for no apparent reason and refused to ever import it again.

A question for JandC; Will Calbe A49 be in stock soon? I swear that stuff is the best fine grain developer out there for roll film.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not going to get on a soapbox against FreeStyle, but outside of Arista.EDU their prices aren't any better than the brick&mortar retailers in my metropolitan area and no better than CalumetPhoto.

Agfa, Kodak, and Ilford are all cheaper from the big NYC retailers.

Images
    As I have indicated on other threads, Forte surviving is dependent on finding a price structure that makes sense....... It's not going to be a bargin basement product anymore and the market will decide if the product is good enough to justify the pricing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    I really like Forte films, but if they double in price, I'll be able to get Ilford films cheaper, and I don't know if I like Forte films more than Ilford films, at the same prices.
    Maybe Ilford needs to raise their prices, too. That may be our future, friends: paying more to ensure that we have the materials we need. Agfa and Forte 120 films are $2.00-ish, Ilford and Kodak $3.00-ish. I'm an amateur, averaging maybe 4 rolls a month, so I'll pay what I have to and barely notice. For others who shoot a lot, it'll be more painful.

Would I pay $8.00-$10.00 a roll tomorrow for some APX25? I might.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin