Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,597   Online: 849

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Where one spends one's money is their business but to boycott a company because of what a sales rep said is silly. Yeah, Freestyle's prices are not the lowest but their customer service is excellent, they ship orders promptly and have just about the lowest shipping rates out there. They'll even ship most chemicals (including the much beloved Rodinal) without the additional "hadardous Material" fee. All that taken into account, they are quite competitive. Let's not go on a witch hunt here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ElrodCod
    Where one spends one's money is their business but to boycott a company because of what a sales rep said is silly..
    I'm not boycotting them so much as realizing that outside of Arista.EDU they have nothing to offer me. And since they won't be carrying Forte products in any form in the future (their words, not mine) they aren't really in the game any longer as far as my enlarging paper needs are concerned.

They're shipping is inexpensive, but it still falls a few $ shy of making up for their prices vs Adorama and B&H; at least for the products that I order with some regularity. In fact, once I incorporate shipping they are maybe all of $1 or $2 cheaper for a box of 100 RC sheets for Agfa MCP 312 vs. one of the larger retailers in my area. Hardly worth my wait.

Besides, they use FedEx to deliver to my metro area (Washington, D.C.) and that precludes the shipment of any chemicals and FedEx's use of local contracters for final delivery invariably means that I have to wait another couple days for delivery vs UPS anyways.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    Maybe they do, and maybe they will, but in the meantime.....

Jay
    Not a question of maybe, or when - I've been told that Ilford *is* raising prices, and substantially at that. Film and paper around 10-20%, chems (what they're making) upwards of 50%.

The local shop is due to receive a shipment of Forte paper at the beginning of March - they have no idea what sizes of paper they'll be getting, and nobody can (will?) tell them, but at least production is back up and running.
    Cheers!

-klm.

The rise in price of Ilford products in N America is in part because of the continued decline of the strength of the greenback agaisnt the euro and the pound. It is happening on other products imported from Europe. Again, in part, Forte will need to do the same for that very reason.

As for Freestyle, I have always found their customer service terrible, at least over the last few years. They always seemed to add overly high shipping charges which negated most of the savings made on the purchase, and actually dealing with a human being there was nearly always painful - usually simply rude or ignorant. In addition, last year, the last time I considered ordering, their price for Arista 400 8x10 was only a dollar or two cheaper than I could buy Ilford HP5 locally.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Both Ilford and Kodak tend to raise prices per annum. This is usually the time of year it happens too. I'm really glad to see Ilford is doing better, and let's not forget Agfa black & white. Sure, they've trimmed their line over the years, but the monochrome division as recently bought out by employees. I'm glad to see JandC carrying their films. Now if the would only bring back Portiga and Brovira.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin