Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,515   Posts: 1,543,728   Online: 891

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I does not/did not come in different grades.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have experience with Panalure havingworked for a lab. Assuming Ilford's paper to be similar, you will probably see more contrast than you expect. When printing color negatives, colors will be rendered in the same way panchromatic film renders colors. For instance a red flower will reproduce a much lighter gray value than it on a non-panchromatic paper. Another interesting effect is that the grain that is evident when printing small negatives is accentuated when printing color negatives on non-panchromatic papers, due to the fact that the yellow grain-dye bits are not printing and remain white, while the cyan grain-dye bits are printing very dark. Printing on panchromatic papers typically lessens that effect. In addition, color filters can be used in the same manner they are used on the camera.

And the paper is very fast and excellent for in camera paper negatives.

Doug Schwab
    Brooklyn, NY

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ilford Photo changed emulsions of panchromatic papers

I just realized that recently the

ILFOSPEED RC DIGITAL and the fiber based ILFORD GALERIE FB DIGITAL have been substituted by papers of different names and improved emulsions:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/...Papers+Digital

Ultrafine Online seemingly still sell the older version.
    I doubt though that those improvements would be significant for the analogue lab.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I understand that because it's designed for digital exposure, the paper itself is a fixed grade. Used as designed, you would adjust the curves in software to fit the paper.

From a purely APUG-value perspective though, I'm intrigued that this means possible availability of a different grade of Galerie FB than current offerings of only Grade 2 and 3... I've heard it's about Grade 4.

It's necessary to handle in the dark, as it's Panchromatic, which will vary the darkroom routine a bit, but there's nothing wrong with a little variety.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    I couldn't find any ideas on how to reduce the contrast when developing this paper (assume exposing a colour neg in a traditional analog enlarger). Perhaps it is only possible using a low contrast paper developer as per here.
    When I was doing paper negatives I found using a film developer worked to lower the contrast. I used Xtol or Daifine as that is what I had in stock at the time. Both worked better than the paper developer I had at the time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think that's a great idea brianmquinn,

Any of the controls that were used in the past to reduce contrast of fixed grade paper - soft developers for instance - would be valuable to put to the task for reducing contrast on this fixed grade paper used in camera negatives.

Hate to suggest a possibility: Blue filter. Would waste the panchromatic nature of the paper. But may reduce contrast.

Also suggests other filter possibilities, selecting red/green/yellow filters on camera - not to enhance the contrast of the subject - but deliberately to reduce the contrast. Thinking in contrary to usual practice - that sounds like fun.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Has anyone has experience using roll paper in the printing machines it is actually intended for? Can we use those machines to cut the roll paper to size for us in total darkness in bulk and then somehow get it to return the paper to us un exposed and un processed? If so then a visit to our local lab to see what they are willing to do could be in order. Additionally somebody said they scored these rolls quite cheaply on eBay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm. The high contrast might be good for some alternative contact printing processes. Presumably since it's Ilford there aren't any watermarks or printing on the back. And inexpensive enough to try it out. I wonder if it would generate a different looking solargraph. Talking myself into trying some...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    Has anyone has experience using roll paper in the printing machines it is actually intended for? Can we use those machines to cut the roll paper to size for us in total darkness in bulk and then somehow get it to return the paper to us un exposed and un processed? If so then a visit to our local lab to see what they are willing to do could be in order.
    Cutting roll paper to sheets has been repeatedly referred to at Apug. The most conveniant way would be to use a manual cutting machine (either rotary knife or lever-knife), attach a roll holder at one end and a stop at the other end.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does any one have any experience to this and as well as to Panalure? I would totally get a 50 sheet box of 11x14 if it will offer the same results. I dont shoot much color, but I do have negatives I want to print, and I just dont like the results of printing them through a heavy mangeta filter onto regular black and white paper. I also have lots of older family color negatives I would like to print.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin