Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,117   Online: 861

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ;1517341
    a lf photographer just recently made a really-well done short about film but basically said the same thing - film is dead, not getting made anymore, end of an art
    When I was making presentations for Kodak on the coming digital technologies in the late 1980s, on of my slides was a cover of the trade paper VARIETY that said "Film is Dead". If you read the article, you found they were talking about the use of film in TV news gathering. and in fact, with the introduction of portable video camcorders, film WAS dead in that application. (It was in Variety in 1956. See: http://www.incite-online.net/hancox.html )

It's probably safe to say that for consumer photography, film is pretty much dead. It doesn't mean that film is dead for all users (like those here on APUG), but the use of film HAS drastically declined overall. Don't be surprised if a lot of people feel that fim is dead; after all, it is dead for them, in their image capturing.

Edit: note the VARIETY article came out when Ampex first introduced the video recorder in 1956. Electronic news gathering came about 20 years later
    Last edited by Prof_Pixel; 07-02-2013 at 06:16 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added VARIETY date info

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    I had heard from a local film processor that Kodak was stopping film production.

Kodak has said they will continue to manufacture film for the new distribution/marketing company; what's not clear to me is who will do the slitting, spooling and packaging of such film.
    Last edited by Prof_Pixel; 07-02-2013 at 05:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Kodak has said they will continue to manufacture film for the new distribution/marketing company; what not clear to me is who will do the slitting, spooling and packaging of such film.
    As long as I can stuff it in a camera, we're good...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    When I was making presentations for Kodak on the coming digital technologies in the late 1980s, on of my slides was a cover of the trade paper VARIETY that said "Film is Dead". If you read the article, you found they were talking about the use of film in TV news gathering. and in fact, with the introduction of portable video camcorders, film WAS dead in that application. (It was in Variety in 1956. See: http://www.incite-online.net/hancox.html )

It's probably safe to say that for consumer photography, film is pretty much dead. It doesn't mean that film is dead for all users (like those here on APUG), but the use of film HAS drastically declined overall. Don't be surprised if a lot of people feel that fim is dead; after all, it is dead for them, in their image capturing.
    You have a voice of reason and reality, it was the mid 80's when the first of my friends (a committed amateur) went 100% digital, he spent a small fortune on the first consumer megapixel camera ironically a Polaroid, ironically i was going the other way committing bto Large Format for my personal work but I'd been shootin LF since the 70's commercially.

I think a point that's always missed is that we now have many choices for image capture, film - B&W or Colour, negative/positive, Polaroid - Imposible Project or Fuji, and Digital. They are all just tools, but as a competeant photographer you need to make your own choices of what you use.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    They are all just tools, but as a competeant photographer you need to make your own choices of what you use.

Ian

That's a point I always used to end my presentations!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    ... So just what is being made in Kodak Park?
    Sadly, a lot of pink slips.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin