Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,003   Online: 1012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Saving Some Bucks (or Euros or whatever!)

There used to be a thread here about workarounds and substitutes for things that stopped being available or were too expensive. Boy did I luck out with one of those coups! If you look online for a drymount tissue tacking iron, you will find that D&K makes one that sells for either $70 or $170 and Bienfang/Seal makes one for $170 as well. BUT, Hobbico, Top Flite (same as Hobbico) and Coverite make utterly identical irons that sell for about $25 including shipping. I just had to replace the Hobbico I'd had for years (I left it on by accident and it burned itself out I guess), with an identical iron.

The other item that works equally well for vastly less money is parchment paper for baking. It replaces 'release' paper that sells for way too much, and I reuse the two sheets I need scores of times before starting with new ones. It works perfectly, and dry mounting is done at a much lower temperature than the 350+ degrees used for baking.

I hate being taken advantage of by the seemingly proprietary nature of photo specific products that gouge the unwary when substitutes work just as well.

Und du? Got any goodies to share?
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You got a cheap way of having a drymount press?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm reticent to recommend this, but about 23 years ago before I got a mounting press, I used a regular clothes iron. Making sure there was NO water in the iron, and having it set to the non-steam setting, I set the temp with a dial thermometer, and kept the iron slowly moving over the print. I too used parchment paper as a cover. You have to be careful using this method, but it worked. I still have some prints mounted this way and they haven't popped up yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hay John, good thread.

I got my tacking iron mail ordered from Tower Hobbies, about the same price as you found.

Shooter
    Large Format
    And here all this time I've been using an iron to cover my airplanes. Too cheap to buy a cheap tacking iron.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a clothes iron and parchment paper to dry mount my prints. I have an older tack iron that cost me $10 used(in LN cond at the time)when I bought it a few years back.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I just use my regular household iron as a tacking iron.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post

The other item that works equally well for vastly less money is parchment paper for baking. It replaces 'release' paper that sells for way too much, and I reuse the two sheets I need scores of times before starting with new ones. It works perfectly, and dry mounting is done at a much lower temperature than the 350+ degrees used for baking.
    What time & temperature do you use for the mounting?

Shooter
    Large Format
    What does the word Council mean under some of these names? Thx.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    @ Bruce: I use Bienfang Color Mount Tissue, and set the iron's dial at about 2:00. I have learned not to press too hard as that can leave an impression of the iron on the face of the print. I just tack the tissue as lightly as I can (I do not touch the tissue with the iron directly, but use a bit of the parchment paper between it and the tissue). I also discovered a very wide paint roller with a thick and fuzzy nap that I use immediately after pulling the print from the press. Since using it, I've had no bubbles and no lifting. And that, too, is a helluva lot less expensive than the piece of enameled heavy steel that Light Impressions used to offer to press the print after its time in the press.

@Tom1956: The Council was formed a bunch of years ago to sorta keep tabs on trolls, fights, and other issues that arose from time to time among members. When those issues were identified, the moderators were informed and they would alert the death squads!
    Last edited by jovo; 07-10-2013 at 03:15 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added some information
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin