Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,673   Online: 781

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ended up finding a seller on ebay who had several Workboxes w/o rings for $4 each. I bought 6 which should last me many years at my rate of film consumption. I'll buy some proper sized binders with large rings and remove/install them in the Workboxes. Done.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    Why do you want rings? They cannot evenly support a negative-sheet when stored vertically so I just bought a dozen archival filing boxes (the sold flat, self-build sort with stainless fittings) and stack them so that they, and the negative pages within, are horizontal. There is plenty of room for labels on the outside and dividers inside, or a heap of contact sheets, or sheet-film sleeves etc. etc.

Edit: Note, there are plenty of superficially similar boxes which are not acid-free archival quality - so make sure to find the right version!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    Why do you want rings? They cannot evenly support a negative-sheet when stored vertically so I just bought a dozen archival filing boxes (the sold flat, self-build sort with stainless fittings) and stack them so that they, and the negative pages within, are horizontal. There is plenty of room for labels on the outside and dividers inside, or a heap of contact sheets, or sheet-film sleeves etc. etc.

Edit: Note, there are plenty of superficially similar boxes which are not acid-free archival quality - so make sure to find the right version!
    because 3 ring binders need them to be 3 ring binders. all of my neg pages just happen to have 3 holes that line up with the rings? coincidence, I think not.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    because 3 ring binders need them to be 3 ring binders. all of my neg pages just happen to have 3 holes that line up with the rings? coincidence, I think not.
    I could have phrased that more clearly, sorry. I mean why do you need to put neg pages in to rings? I have more than thirty years of negs, in glassine/paper pages, stored horizontally with no stress on the negs from one corner resting on the bottom of the binder-box. If binders are placed vertically they bend the negs, if they are not placed vertically then one doesn't need any rings to hold the pages - one can let gravity do it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    I could have phrased that more clearly, sorry. I mean why do you need to put neg pages in to rings? I have more than thirty years of negs, in glassine/paper pages, stored horizontally with no stress on the negs from one corner resting on the bottom of the binder-box. If binders are placed vertically they bend the negs, if they are not placed vertically then one doesn't need any rings to hold the pages - one can let gravity do it.
    I store them flat so no stress on the pages. When I want open a binder full of negs and want to flip through them, it's easy and everything stays in order rather than falling onto a dust covered floor. Works for me so no reason to change a system that's suited me well enough to fill seven 2.5" binders in the last 12 years.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin