Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,484   Posts: 1,571,256   Online: 1048

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    Miha, more Kentmere papers are listed on their web site.
    I hope there will be an update with the above news soon.

http://www.kentmere.co.uk/products/p...e+Photo+Papers
    Hi Brian, the web site is out-of-date, hence my question to Simon, but he already aswered to Sal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Product Discontinuation Notice From HARMAN technology Limited "

And the beat goes on.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Hi Brian, the web site is out-of-date, hence my question to Simon, but he already aswered to Sal.
    I know it is out of date. I kept wondering when or if it would be updated. My question / comment was a hope that the site would get an update. Or a least a product has been taken out of production note. Still it is better than no web site and many film makes are known for not keeping things current in their literature (Kodak and Fuji come to mind).
    Last edited by brianmquinn; 07-16-2013 at 03:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What surprises me is that there is still a big enough demand for graded RC papers to stay in production. I would imagine they would have to go first.

Shooter
    35mm
    Simon. I use both Kentmere and Ilford papers although I prefer Kentmere FB as opposed to Ilford Multigrade FB for two reasons. The first being it is faster and secondly, takes less exposure and it has more 'Punch' than Ilford. By that I mean I can print Kentmere with no filtration and get a pretty decent print with a full range of contrasts, but with the Ilford version I have to use a grade 3 or even a grade 3.5 filter value to get the same result.

As Harman apparently own both Kentmere and Ilford would it not be possible to tweak the Ilford variant so that it is more like the Kentmere. Or reading between the lines as you own both companies, running two similar lines together at the same time, is counter to what the 'bean counters' (AKA Accountants) have said and the less used version has to go.

I submit the Kentmere version was a better product

I sincerely hope you are not going down the line that Jessops took in UK by swallowing up the smaller photographic outlets and closing them down one by one so reducing competition. (Then going bust themselves!)
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 07-17-2013 at 08:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Simon. Your products are excellent and thanks for being the company with the best communication to its customers I've ever seen.

On that note, this made me think about your lines of product and what might be next.

I'm a big PanF+ fan as you know, but I can assume its also probably one if the lesser purchased films. So I was wondering if there were a way to make a PRE-announcement "hey guys, x product isn't doing so hot lately and if sales decline any more we will be forced to discontinue it" as a way of either allowing an even LONGER transition away from that product, or to get those who like it but haven't used it lately to be remembered why they love it and to use it more?

Or am I just crazy? Lol.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    Simon. I use both Kentmere and Ilford papers although I prefer Kentmere FB as opposed to Ilford Multigrade FB for two reasons. The first being it is faster and secondly, takes less exposure and it has more 'Punch' than Ilford. By that I mean I can print Kentmere with no filtration and get a pretty decent print with a full range of contrasts, but with the Ilford version I have to use a grade 3 or even a grade 3.5 filter value to get the same result.

As Harman apparently own both Kentmere and Ilford would it not be possible to tweak the Ilford variant so that it is more like the Kentmere. Or reading between the lines as you own both companies, running two similar lines together at the same time, is counter to what the 'bean counters' (AKA Accountants) have said and the less used version has to go.

I sincerely hope you are not going down the line that Jessops took in UK by swallowing up the smaller photographic outlets and closing them down one by one so reducing competition. (Then going bust themselves!)
    I concur that Kentmere is the better product. Since Adox FPVC was discontinued I have tried very many papers and have been using the Kentmere and that was a fine replacement.

I live for my photography but I barely scrap a living. The loss of a superb paper at an affordable price is going to hurt enormously.

For many years I have believed that Black & White photography would always survive albeit as a niche market. However, I never imagined that I might be priced out of the darksroom!!

David
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    I use both Kentmere and Ilford papers although I prefer Kentmere FB as opposed to Ilford Multigrade FB for two reasons.[...]

I also use both papers, but I wouldn't say one is better than the other. They have noticeably different characteristics both in terms of speed and tonal representation. Having seen a sizeable range disappearing from the market with Fotochemika last year, I think many of us hoped that the remaining brands would fill the void and survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh Bear
    Oh dear...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    So I was wondering if there were a way to make a PRE-announcement "hey guys, x product isn't doing so hot lately and if sales decline any more we will be forced to discontinue it" as a way of either allowing an even LONGER transition away from that product, or to get those who like it but haven't used it lately to be remembered why they love it and to use it more?
    I don't know whether photographic supplies are different, but the common response to news/rumors that a product will be discontinued is for consumers to abandon it. So pre-announcing would tend to kill the product even sooner.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ruh-roh. Based on Drew Wiley's recommendation I was planning to try it for a colder toned paper. Oh well.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin