Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,339   Online: 882

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    Simon
    Could you say what is the production status of Ilford PAN 100 and 400, please? Have they been discontinued? There isn't any information about these films on your website.

I can't figure out why a film made in the UK sells for a higher price than one made elsewhere. I'm talking specifically about Kentmere films. Until last year they were sold at competitive prices at the retail point and about the same as other films of same quality from the continent. Then the retail price jumped to about £1 more per roll, where others had a smaller price increase.
    On the above: It is unlikely they have been discontinued. Firstcall is still selling the Pan 400 and maybe the 100 as well. I stopped looking after I had found the 400 film. The 100 and 400 aren't widely available in the U.K. It seems that Ilford has decided that their markets are elsewhere but certain retailers are able to get hold of them

On the second point a number of us in the U.K. keep asking the same question. Some even buy their film from the U.S. and find it cheaper even with customs duty etc than purchasing in the U.K.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    This was by far my favourite paper. What is the closest alternative ?

Steven

Shooter
    35mm
    Pentaxuser
    Thanks! Not only Firstcall, but also The Imaging Warehouse sell them. But there is no info on Ilford's site!
    And, on the second point, I've seen the questions, but not the answers!
    My cameras:
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F50, F55, F60, 2xF601, F65, 3xF75, F801, 2x F801S, F80, F90, 4xF90X, EL2, FE, FM, 2xFG, FG-20, 3xEM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Simon - why not advertise it instead? Nobody knew about it. One of the best papers ever made ... and apparently there goes the last premium cold tone paper on the market. MG IV doesn't even come close to its richness.
    EXACTLY!
    it didn't/doesn't even come up in freestyle's search window.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well Freestyle Does sell it.
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/98984-...x10-100-Sheets

Also I did a Google Shopping search and found that even Staples and Quill now sell Kentmere Paper!

Don't also forget about the downward spiral of a product. It does not sell well, fewer retailers then carry it in stock, it sells even less then, since it brings in less money the maker of the product does not have the money to advertize it, etc.

I will be sad to see it go. However if it will last 5 years in storage perhaps there could be a special run every few years like the ULF order. Only Harman knows what the sales were and if this can be done.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, that is a pity; I rather liked that stuff.

Still, I quite understand that it may not be economical to keep two product lines that serve basically the same purpose and effectively compete with each other. Keeping Ilford as a whole profitable is more important than any one product line.

I don't see how the ULF thing would help. The issue is not that particular sizes sell in small quantities, but that the emulsion itself sells in small quantities. The huge quantity of HP5 and FP4 sold allow for annual batches of weird sizes to be cut from the same stock; the preorder process just ensures no wastage from unsold/unsaleable packs in bizarre sizes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    Well Freestyle Does sell it.
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/98984-...x10-100-Sheets

Also I did a Google Shopping search and found that even Staples and Quill now sell Kentmere Paper!

Don't also forget about the downward spiral of a product. It does not sell well, fewer retailers then carry it in stock, it sells even less then, since it brings in less money the maker of the product does not have the money to advertize it, etc.

I will be sad to see it go. However if it will last 5 years in storage perhaps there could be a special run every few years like the ULF order. Only Harman knows what the sales were and if this can be done.
    For the record, I didn't say they didn't. I've bought quite a bit of it there. They don't exactly give it much space in their catalog.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Simon - why not advertise it instead? Nobody knew about it. One of the best papers ever made ... and apparently there goes the last premium cold tone paper on the market. MG IV doesn't even come close to its richness.
    Nonsense. If you found it "colder", ok. More "rich" than MGIV, ridiculous.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Freestyle has been aggressively pushing their Adox Premium VCFB - a damn good paper in its own right, but so far I haven't found any way to
    turn it into a true cold tone like I could do with Fineprint or Polygrade V. It is largely immune to gold toner. There goes about half my 8x10
    negs which were deliberately shot for cool tone. The other half will fit onto the scope of MGWT, which thankfully looks like it will stay around.
    I might try Oriental VC again, but every time previously it seemed anemic - color analogous to the classic old Seagull G, but nowhere near the
    punch. Looks like there's going to be a huge vacuum for a premium cool-toned paper. I've already invested so much money stockpiling film and rare supplies that this is going to be a hurdle. B&H still shows Kentmere as a special order item, so I'm probably try to acquire a few boxes. I've got only one box of 20x24 on hand, and have nearly run out of my old Polygrade V too. Fineprint also got an undeserved bad rap
    because a few sheets here and there had little coating holidays. I saw maybe two sheets like that, and a friend of mine got a bad sheet or
    two, but most of the paper was perfectly good. Hopefully Ilford or someone else will get their thinking cap on and see the market potential for a premium cold toned paper. I don't know if there is any reasonably fresh inventory of graded Galerie anywhere. But Simon should be
    forewarned, the NSA has already scooped the formula for Fineprint, and a malcontent defector has threatened to leak it to the British tabloids! And maybe its time to dump any prints toned with British tea into the Boston harbor!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...I don't know if there is any reasonably fresh inventory of graded Galerie anywhere...
    All my recent purchases of Galerie have been manufactured ten or so months before I received them at the end of the distribution/retail pipeline. That's consistent with other Ilford-branded high-volume products like Delta 100 and MGIV FB. So it seems that Galerie sales volume is in balance with coating volume.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin