Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,653   Online: 1046

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've noticed that in both NZ and AUS they just try to rip you off on film prices in general. Any NZ/AUS people should highly be considering Freestyle and bulk purchases because the merchants are ripping you off!
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Gott'a give props to Ratty Mouse here....think a few months ago he smelled, errrr, a rat.....

Think he wins the "discontinuance pool"

Enjoy the $5000 cash prize Ratty!
    That's a prize I am NOT happy to win. I dont get it. How can ONE product line for color slide film be too much for the market to bare. Provia is the last standard all purpose color slide film. Even rationalizing down to a single product line was still too much supply, not enough demand.

And why in the world did Fujifilm commit the resources to reformulate Neopan 400 and then market a launch of this product?? What a phenomenal waste.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll order some 400X, to go along with my frozen stock of E100G, E200 and Precisa, but once it's gone I'm done with E6. It's down to oversaturated and contrasty Velvia and over contrasty Provia, in 50 and 100. No thanks. So long E6 it was good to know you.

I may shoot some black and white slides for projection though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Regardless of what they say, I don't think Fuji(film) care about this small section of their market. I believe they are doing fine in the 'anti-aging' face cream sector, as well as leica-style digicams.

I was disappointed when they discontinued Pro160c, Reala, and now that they have 'officially' dropped Neopan 400, after putting out what I regard as disinformation to promote stock depletion, I am just disgusted.

Surely all the film-camera users that appear on Tokyo Camera Style could have helped sustain a domestic demand for a 400 speed monochrome film?

What's the point of staying with their C41 B&W and Acros? It's conflicting, to say the least.

The mis/dis/information around Neopan 400 reminds me of that 'Scumbag Steve' meme.

Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I personally don't care what they do with their black and white line. I like Acros and it's unique, but I don't shoot that much of it and can certainly live without it. Frankly the whole black and white world aside from Ilford could go away and I wouldn't be negatively impacted. I'd change a few products, but I could live happily with Ilford for black and white.

But Fuji is the only game left for slide film (aside from black and white film reversal processed, or reversal processed C41 if you want that look) so it matters a lot more. And even when Kodak was around, 400X was still unique. It's a wonderful film. They've now canceled their two best ever slide films, Astia and Provia 400X.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I personally don't care what they do with their black and white line. I like Acros and it's unique, but I don't shoot that much of it and can certainly live without it. Frankly the whole black and white world aside from Ilford could go away and I wouldn't be negatively impacted. I'd change a few products, but I could live happily with Ilford for black and white.

But Fuji is the only game left for slide film (aside from black and white film reversal processed, or reversal processed C41 if you want that look) so it matters a lot more. And even when Kodak was around, 400X was still unique. It's a wonderful film. They've now canceled their two best ever slide films, Astia and Provia 400X.
    400X pushed well to ISO800 for me, so this film was the only option to shoot transparencies at high ISO. It is amazing to think that soon it will not be available. People are all angry at Fujifilm, and I can understand why that emotion exists, but in reality, people just are not shooting enough chromes anymore. If the money were there, the supply for film would be too.

People **NEED** to shoot more slide film. PE called it awhile back that E-6 film was going to disappear soon. He's a smart guy and this latest blow against E-6 film validates his prediction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree. I'm going to lay in some of this. I MAY continue shooting Provia 100 while it's available once this is gone, but then again I have enough in the film fridge now that, by the time I shoot what I have of E100G and E200 and the additional 400X I buy, Provia may be gone too.

Ironically I generally prefer prints and print film but just about quitting shooting it because I felt like I could always continue with it once slides were gone, so I've been shooting all slides for color for a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    I hate to say it but never trust Fuji. They pull this stunt all the time.
    Pretty much nailed my feelings on this.

I love Acros 100. It was the first black and white film I really seriously tried in medium format. I enjoyed not needing to keep a reciprocity adjustment chart taped to the back of my meter. But I'm trying to dial in a reliable shoot-develop-print workflow here, actually understand the materials I'm using, and I don't like the idea that I might settle on Acros only for Fuji to drop it without warning. I can't afford to stockpile film when it gets dropped.

Plus from a pragmatic point of view, I'm much happier directing my limited budget for this stuff toward companies which are demonstrating commitment to sticking around.

I hate that I feel that way, but...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji still lists this films without discontinuation notices. The information policy of Fuji is anything but the best, but still I would take anything Freestyle confirms with a heap of salt.

We had these discussion on Fuji films discontinuations before.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    C'mon. Kodak? ADOX? Just because you've settled on your particular films doesn't mean you should not care if others go away.

I agree that it sucks they're the only e6 game in town. But this is specifically why you should care that there is more than one manufacturer of a particular medium!
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin