Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,221   Posts: 1,532,329   Online: 1068

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't WANT Acros or any film to go away. But I prefer to spend my money with companies that are committed to analog materials. Kodak, much as I love Tri-X and TMY-2, doesn't seem to be. I applaud Adox for making some unique materials but they don't make film that really suits my needs. I do use their MCC paper though which is excellent.

Shooter
    35mm
    It was John Sypal's blog (that Ratty linked to) that first got me worried, then there was the new packaging announcement that didn't include Neopan 400, then the film had already been discontinued in some places and then came back (like 800Z), now the official word feels more like closure than loss.

Fellow Neopan 400 shooters - what film will be your replacement?
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess the writing was on the wall when Fujifilm announced their new film packages. Neither Provia 400X nor Neopan 400 were part of that announcement so at this point, they were marked for deletion.

http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n130322_03.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Fuji still lists this films without discontinuation notices. The information policy of Fuji is anything but the best, but still I would take anything Freestyle confirms with a heap of salt.

We had these discussion on Fuji films discontinuations before.
    You did see the official notice about the cancellation of these two films, didn't you? How much more official can it get??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Glover View Post
    Pretty much nailed my feelings on this.

I love Acros 100. It was the first black and white film I really seriously tried in medium format. I enjoyed not needing to keep a reciprocity adjustment chart taped to the back of my meter. But I'm trying to dial in a reliable shoot-develop-print workflow here, actually understand the materials I'm using, and I don't like the idea that I might settle on Acros only for Fuji to drop it without warning. I can't afford to stockpile film when it gets dropped.

Plus from a pragmatic point of view, I'm much happier directing my limited budget for this stuff toward companies which are demonstrating commitment to sticking around.

I hate that I feel that way, but...
    What is it we expect Fujifilm to do here? Sell film for a loss? Is that what the film world has come to? Just manufacture film for a loss.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    That's a prize I am NOT happy to win. I dont get it. How can ONE product line for color slide film be too much for the market to bare. Provia is the last standard all purpose color slide film. Even rationalizing down to a single product line was still too much supply, not enough demand.

And why in the world did Fujifilm commit the resources to reformulate Neopan 400 and then market a launch of this product?? What a phenomenal waste.
    I am really sorry. I am using a different 400 film, but for sure would be livid should this have occurred to my fav 400 b/w.

Re chromes, is there a chrome made by Rollei? Something like a 200 film? don't know much about it, I...ummm....sorry to say, don't do chromes anymore, c41 round here...sorry to have been part of the problem....
    Andy

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    You did see the official notice about the cancellation of these two films, didn't you? How much more official can it get??
    The official note is from Fuji North-America. To my understanding there have been different distribution approaches between the different Fuji subsidiaries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, for the first time ever I just now placed an order to assure myself a modest future supply of an announced discontinued film product.* Ordered 25 rolls of 120 Provia 400. Added to the 5 in-date frozen rolls I currently have, that's 30 total.

Combined (at least for now) with the still available 120 Provia 100 for most situations, and at my modest level of color use, 30 rolls of 400-speed is probably a ten year supply for me. And chances are good that the E-6 chemistry will also be discontinued before then anyway. At least at that time I can presumably also order up enough home processing kit to finish off my remaining rolls, if they haven't all been cosmic-rayed to death beforehand.

Unless someone like Harman eventually steps in, or a Harman partnership together with someone else, as Matt speculated in an earlier post, I'm pretty convinced that color film photography of all types will die off completely within my lifetime.

It's the unavoidable Tyranny of the Bell Curve. Most available consumer money clusters around the mean of the normal distribution, so most of the targeted consumer products do likewise. Step too far away from that mean, as we here all have done, and your product choices dwindle very, very quickly. It's the price to be paid for not running with the herd.

Heck, not too long ago I read an advertisement (by Sony, if I remember correctly) that was literally begging the photographic consumer to consider using "real cameras" with which to make their photos. The "real cameras" were Sony digital point-and-shoots, as opposed to the not-mentioned-but-inferred smartphones.

So already the technology that triggered the film crisis has itself begun to drift dangerously away from that same mean.

Ken

* Kodachrome doesn't count since the unique processing also died with it, so there was no point in securing future supplies.
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 07-20-2013 at 11:25 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Better clarity...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    The official note is from Fuji North-America. To my understanding there have been different distribution approaches between the different Fuji subsidiaries.
    I read this all of the stated films will cease production. Fujifilm TOKYO announces their discontinuation. That means they cannot be sold anywhere, not just North America.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Well, for the first time ever I just now placed an order to assure myself a modest future supply of an announced discontinued film product.* Ordered 25 rolls of 120 Provia 400. Added to the 5 in-date frozen rolls I currently have, that's 30 total.
    I just did my first hoarding too. I bought 20 boxes of Neopan 400. Every chance I get near my film shop I'm going to buy 10 boxes until he has no more.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin