Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,383   Online: 883

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    What is it we expect Fujifilm to do here? Sell film for a loss? Is that what the film world has come to? Just manufacture film for a loss.
    Of course not. How exactly would that help anyone?

The problem isn't discontinuing lines that are making a loss. That's just good business sense. The problem is the confusion around every single time they cancel a product. The problem is that a lot of people don't trust them, and that hasn't just sprung up out of nowhere; *something* Fuji is doing has caused that. The problem is that they now have almost no presence left in b&w films. That doesn't inspire confidence, it feels more like a last desperate rearguard action of a division Fuji don't really need to keep around.

Compare to Ilford who don't cause those same trust issues.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Glover View Post
    Of course not. How exactly would that help anyone?

The problem isn't discontinuing lines that are making a loss. That's just good business sense. The problem is the confusion around every single time they cancel a product. The problem is that a lot of people don't trust them, and that hasn't just sprung up out of nowhere; *something* Fuji is doing has caused that. The problem is that they now have almost no presence left in b&w films. That doesn't inspire confidence, it feels more like a last desperate rearguard action of a division Fuji don't really need to keep around.

Compare to Ilford who don't cause those same trust issues.
    EVERY Japanese/Asian company has communication issues. I live in work in Asia and communication is by far, the weakest aspect of life here. Getting a straight story out of anyone is like pulling teeth.

I dont see any confusion here regarding the canceled products. They list what is canceled and what is a "replacement". The confusion comes from people who refuse to believe it, even in the face of a published announcement!!

What Fujifilm makes confusing is what films are still available! Go to www.fujifilm.com. Look at their film page. No ACROS to be found there at all!! All kinds of films are missing. It's just embarrassing how neglected Fujifilm's film page is. How much money does it take to have an up to date film page? Nothing.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    High context societies have interesting ways of communicating. I often wonder if discontinuation is considered a failure - and hence they hem-haw back and forth on it until it can no longer be avoided. One thing's for sure: their speciality surely isn't clarity.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    High context societies have interesting ways of communicating. I often wonder if discontinuation is considered a failure - and hence they hem-haw back and forth on it until it can no longer be avoided. One thing's for sure: their speciality surely isn't clarity.
    Absolutely! Failure represents a loss of "face" and is to be avoided at ALL costs. If Fujifilm considers discontinuing a film a failure, then that is a massive blow to them.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Acros and all the other films in question here are still listed by Fuji. As stated above the communication by Fuji is midiocre, and everyone in this thread can chose a statement he likes. The funny thing about this thread that it is even about a statement by Freestyle not by Fuji...

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Absolutely! Failure represents a loss of "face" and is to be avoided at ALL costs. If Fujifilm considers discontinuing a film a failure, then that is a massive blow to them.
    Yep, exactly what I meant.

I'm going to presume you're a westerner in China and that you've banged your head against a wall multiple times upon coming to terms with "face", eh? Great way to collectively hold back the entire society due to a baked in insecurity of looking wrong, or losing respect, isn't it? I have some fundamental disagreements with how "face" is handled in high-context societies. I think it takes more courage to admit wrong and to volunteer loss of face - but in the end one is usually respected more for admitting wrong. I don't get why they can't get over this hang-up. It's holding them back.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh no, not Provia 400X! After the loss of Astia this will make me stop shooting slide film altogether...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Being a slide shooter myself I was all over Provia 400X when it was introduced. While I loved the colors of E100VS, these two extra stops of speed often gave me an opportunity to shoot when 100 speed film would give unacceptable exposure times. It developed and scanned great, so for a long time it was my goto film for free hand shooting from fall to spring. I easily handled pushing to EI1600, too.

I did encounter some issues with this strategy, though: when it's darker, contrast is either very low and dull, or very high and can't easily be fixed with on camera flash. Also, the color temperature of light was anything but 5500K, and the resulting images had such a strong color cast that not even hybrid processing could fix it.

As a result, I still shoot slide film when light is good, but as soon as I need ISO200 or more, it's negative film for me, mostly Portra 400 and Superia X-Tra 400/800.

People in business say: "a market without competition isn't", and the sad demise of Provia 400X seems to confirm that. I still commend Fuji for bringing this great film to market, and will likely throw a stash of it into my (already overloaded) freezer.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rayonline_nz View Post
    Over here in New Zealand they are asking for $32US for a roll of any slides so it's not helping. Maybe if they rip people off even for few customers maybe they make more profit than selling more at a lower price. I import film like many here but I also export to the USA for development. But checked online, $16US for a roll of Provia 400X is getting expensive even by USA standards.
    I can still get a box with 5 roll films 120 Provia 400 for EURO 33 (about USD 45 ??) overhere in Europe. That would be USD 9 a piece including VAT.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuji_Provia400_RF-box.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	71989
    Shipping to New Zealand from The Netherlands would be USD 35 insured, max. 2 kilogram. If I would send you 5 boxes, that would be 5x45 + 33 = 258 (plus import duties if applied in NZ).
    That would be about USD 10 per film. So asking USD 33 for one single roll?

(I'm going to order myself a nice stash shortly and would be willing to send some to you at no extra charges ...)
    Last edited by TheToadMen; 07-21-2013 at 08:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Yep, exactly what I meant.

I'm going to presume you're a westerner in China and that you've banged your head against a wall multiple times upon coming to terms with "face", eh? Great way to collectively hold back the entire society due to a baked in insecurity of looking wrong, or losing respect, isn't it? I have some fundamental disagreements with how "face" is handled in high-context societies. I think it takes more courage to admit wrong and to volunteer loss of face - but in the end one is usually respected more for admitting wrong. I don't get why they can't get over this hang-up. It's holding them back.
    Yep, I'm an American living in China. I could live my whole life here and never get used to the idea that one must maintain "face" at any cost.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin