Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,972   Online: 938

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    In various jurisdictions there are laws prohibiting "bait and switch" pricing, but no jurisdiction I know of prohibits sellers from correcting errors.

If you want to read examples of judges struggling with pricing errors, research the phrase "invitation to treat"
    Unless its a state law? I know in CT if I'm at the store and the price says $5.50 and I get to the register and it says $7 they HAVE to give it to me for the advertised price, not just out of courtesy but by law.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Unless its a state law? I know in CT if I'm at the store and the price says $5.50 and I get to the register and it says $7 they HAVE to give it to me for the advertised price, not just out of courtesy but by law.

Not so sure. If something is supposed to be $500 and by mistake some clerk labels it $5.00 I'm pretty sure they do not have to sell it to you for $5.00. Can you show me the law?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Most of what I'm finding shows this:

“From a legal standpoint, a price is merely an offer, not an obligation.”

Retailers may agree to give you a discount on a price error out of courtesy but I do not think there's a law that says they must sell it to you.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A bit of Googling indicates that Connecticut does have legislation that requires retailers to pay a small "bonus" to customers who pick an item off a shelf and then, when the item is scanned, it turns out that the scan price and the shelf price differ.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    There is also this new airline bait n switch law, that's gotta little gray too.....

http://www.cleveland.com/business/in...ited_airl.html

But now were way off track....

Or shd I say the tarmac....
    Andy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Not so sure. If something is supposed to be $500 and by mistake some clerk labels it $5.00 I'm pretty sure they do not have to sell it to you for $5.00. Can you show me the law?
    I once bought a bike, it was listed as $500 on the rack, when they rung it up it came up as $800, the shop called to confirm and in fact it was an $800 bike, they sold it to me for $500

I dunno if it's just rhumor, and no one is going to sue for the price of a miss stickered price (in most cases) but I know it at least viewed that way here. And when I worked retail the bosses always told us this was true because they were always worried about us miss-pricing things..

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At the current prices for 400X in Oz and NZ, it should be well stocked for the next 50 years!
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    At the current prices for 400X in Oz and NZ, it should be well stocked for the next 50 years!
    Velvia 100F and 50 and 100 are basically the same price give/take. There is one store that sells 50 at $32US and the other two at $16US, haha.
    Yes, they still advertise Fuji Astia The last time I went for an event due to the camera club they had a members night. They had a 100F roll of Provia 100F but it was like a few years expired, they also had APS film. Mind you the price was still half the NZ price which is still more than fresh film in the USA.

Digital stuff and modern lenses etc are not that bad, maybe 20% more than the USA. In the film days, a F100 Nikon was $2200US at the time when the USD was stronger and a used one still went for $1600US. This was 2006, I got a used one off a Photography Forum from the USA.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rayonline_nz View Post
    Velvia 100F and 50 and 100 are basically the same price give/take. There is one store that sells 50 at $32US and the other two at $16US, haha.
    Yes, they still advertise Fuji Astia The last time I went for an event due to the camera club they had a members night. They had a 100F roll of Provia 100F but it was like a few years expired, they also had APS film. Mind you the price was still half the NZ price which is still more than fresh film in the USA.

Digital stuff and modern lenses etc are not that bad, maybe 20% more than the USA. In the film days, a F100 Nikon was $2200US at the time when the USD was stronger and a used one still went for $1600US. This was 2006, I got a used one off a Photography Forum from the USA.
    But, do you guys make more money than us? it seems like you couldn't have a sustainable economy if everything were 20%-500% more expensive than elsewhere...

Shooter
    35mm
    But, do you guys make more money than us? it seems like you couldn't have a sustainable economy if everything were 20%-500% more expensive than elsewhere...
    We do have a minimum wage law that is about $10US/hr but the NZD is quite strong, in the past this amounts to about $8US/hr. The average wage here is $55k USD a year. But I am sure you guys the food etc are cheaper. For us here a sandwich or a coffee could be $5US and $3US respectively. Average lunch I guess in a cafe might be $10-15US ex the drink. Our sales tax is 15%. Income tax ~33%.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin