Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,394   Online: 713

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Meat is overrated
    And it spoils far faster in a freezer than film does
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guess I'm not a hoarder either. I've got all my film in a regular (large) refrigerator. It is pretty full though and I'm buying more.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good thinking, buy up, store, freeze, buy more, rotate out the oldest stock as you go, then you have a buffer.

Well, I am a hoarder for sure, since I seemingly
    - Bought a new freezer to hold film only, because I didn't have any space left for food in my regular one.
    - Have "everything" in there.
    - Buy 30 rolls of something "and a cuple of 5-packs of this and a 5-pack of that, while on a roll"

But since I've been hoarding, I do have
    - 60 Rolls of Neopan 400 in 35mm
    - 50 Rolls of Neopan 400 in 120
    - 20-30 rolls of ADOX/EFKE 25 and 50 ISO in 120 and the same in 35mm
    - 40 rolls of Kodak Plus-X in 120, 40 more in 35mm
    - 5-6 rolls of EFKE IR AURA in 120 and 3-4 in 35mm (Don't really like it in 35mm), bought mainly for testing purposes.

And that's just the "special stuff".
    Since I shoot mostly Acros, I have a standing buffer of about 50 rolls, buying more, rotating out the older stuff.
    A bunch of Velvia 50 in 120 secured.
    40 Rolls of Tri-X in 120 and 35mm (I don't trust Kodak at all)

And that "bunch of other stuff" too, everything from microfilm to C-41 stuff 100 and 400 ISO's, Slide-films, Foma films, Rollei films, bulk-films of various kind and some Ilford films as well.

I don't shoot very much, so 40 rolls of something for me, is several (2-3 years) years worth of film, so buying up 20-30 rolls is definitely hoarding.
    Totaling around 250'ish rolls in each format (35mm, 120) will keep me going for a good while, should things change.

What else is there to do with the money, when you don't have ugly kids to feed and don't have a cranky wife that controls your economy?
    Last edited by Helinophoto; 08-09-2013 at 07:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Not a problem for us vegetarians!
    I've been considering jumping the fence. Then I can really take it over...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The novelty of returning to film and developing my own triggered a bit of absurd "cacheing" for me last year. I've nearly caught myself doing so with Neopan 400 recently, but have headed it off.

As a result, I've ended up with a 'fridge full of assorted discontinued (or about to be) film, none of which I use regularly (because I "don't want to use it up for nothing" - also absurd); I'm not an entrenched "you must only ever use one film and one developer" sort of person, but on the other hand, it seems a bit pointless to perfect my EI and developing technique on 10 rolls of a film I'll never be able to buy again.

I expect I could make a (small) profit on eBay from flogging off the Efke and whatnot (it is after all "rare lomo" ) and buy paper to print on instead ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perfection not needed, just shoot and develop as best you can and have fun with it.

There isn't room in this world for 100 Ansel Adams'es anyway.
    Besides; Only a very few nerdy Apuggers will ever look at a print and go "must be shot in the wrong zone and developed to the wrong contrast for sure", normal people don't care
    -

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Meat is overrated
    fish as well

Shooter
    35mm
    however a hoarder should buy and keep not for use, but for the sake of possession...

Shooter
    127 Format
    The PROBLEM with saving film is when you have a discontinued, no longer available, film in your stash you don't want to use it or you "save" it for special purposes.

So, to do my part, I vow before all that is film, to go and use 3 rolls of extinct film from my stash this weekend!

Or maybe not....
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Roll of Neopan 400 in 120 in my Rolleiflex 2.8F right now, no problems using it really.
    - I just shoot very little in general, but I know that 400 ISO film needs to be used as they don't store "forever".

The Plus-X however........
    -

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin