Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,318   Posts: 1,536,767   Online: 1092

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Robertsons Lancaster UK

Walked by this shop many times, but never called in - looks like a fairly typical small-town photo shop - all digi cameras and bags etc. Except..... it isn't. Unlike most they still stock a reasonable selection of B&W chems and film. I know, because for the first time I called in on the off-chance they had some multigrade that I have just run out of - they did.

They also seem to have a little speciality in stocking obscure projector bulbs, because the guy in the shop made a point of telling me and it's also on their website http://www.glrobertson.co.uk/?Welcome

Anyway, if you find yourself in Lancaster, UK, and need some supplies, don't overlook Roberstons as I have been doing for too long

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds interesting, mr rusty. Pity the website doesn't mention what the analogue products are in terms of films, paper and chemicals with prices.

It looks as if it will ship stuff beyond local Lancs postcodes as well but without mentioning items and prices it is unlikely to attract much if any mail order business

As a matter of interest how did its prices compare with other mail order retailers such as AgPhotographic, Firstcall, Silverprint etc?

Sometimes a long established shop with long established owners and maybe limited overheads can be in a position to compete.

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's not really a mail order type of place - as you see from the website. Quite old fashioned. But they stock a reasonable selection of the ilford chems, films and papers, inc I saw selenium toner, As I am in Lancaster regularly I shall certainly be picking up a few things from time to time rather than paying postage. I also suspect they have a treasure-trove of odds and ends, so perhaps give them a try when you are trying to find something obscure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its a great little shop. A buddy of mine that lives in Lancaster (John Aldred) goes in there regularly and pointed it out to me. They do have some nice film stuff in there from time to time.

Another place in Lancashire to go to is Real Camera in Manchester. That place is an alladins cave of wonderous cameras from all ages from the really early stuff right up to the modern ones.
    Nice bunch of guys too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

As a young ( and keen ! ) salesman doing the North of England for ILFORD ( over 25 years ago !) I used to call on them, good photo shop then, and sounds like they still are, bravo to them.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As a local, I agree that Robertsons is indeed a treasure trove for any odds and ends you might need.

However, the jewel in Lancashire's crown is Mathers, based in Bolton: http://www.mathersoflancashire.co.uk/shop.html

Like Robertsons, it's a traditional camera shop, but their film line is much stronger and at really competitive prices. Mail order is first rate, every single order I've placed has arrived the following day, and (like Robertsons) the staff are very knowledgable and friendly.

I can't recommend them highly enough.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just hit the link to their online shop.
    The fist item on the list is FILM!
    Not the usual list of Digital everything.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Fuji Velvia sells for 10 pounds. Kodak negative film is 4 pounds. I think I can buy 3 rolls of Kodak negative film for 4.5 pounds and 2 rolls of velvia for 10 pounds.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin