Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,045   Online: 988

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Dye Transfer Labs

Are there Still any Dye Transfer Labs in operation and if so who and where are they?
    Links would be appreciated.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim Browning seems to still make Dye transfers : http://www.dyetransfer.org/
    In Germany there is Dye transfer international :http://www.dyetransfer.de/process.html
    Charles Cramer still does Dye transfers: http://www.charlescramer.com/dyetransfer.html
    CVI lab in NYC wasn't able to find a website their contact data is:
    Cvi Lab Dye Transfer
    (212) 226-3399
    23 Prince St, New York, NY

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't know dye transfer is still around with Kodak not making the matrix film any more. They're sure beautiful.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dyetransfer International (dyetransfer.de) makes their own Matrix film

Quote:"These matrix films are produced exclusively for our company following our own formulas", they also produce their own Baryta paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow that's great. I thought dye transfer died with Kodak discontinuation of matrix film.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mordanted paper is made by Filmotec.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would not want a dye transfer. Very expensive and they can fade like hell. Transfers are the Worst color imaging media I've tested for fading. Beautiful color, but dye stability is terrible. (They have good dark storage stability.) Inkjets are the best for overall image IQ and stability.

Cibachrome are the best for stability and will beat an inkjet, but have poor contrast adjustments. Ink jets are behind Ciba, but ahead of Fuji Crystal Archive for stability. Laser prints are above inkjet for stability and maybe(?) equal to Cibacrhome for stability, (but not sure about the last statement. i was never able to test this one area.) I think inkjets are better than Lasers for IQ, but I have not tested all options

OP...after you study up your DT options, let us know what is going on with them for costs.
    Last edited by Iluvmycam; 08-27-2013 at 05:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Wow that's great. I thought dye transfer died with Kodak discontinuation of matrix film.
    I thought the same. I didn't know that there was a company that was still making the materials.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Charlie Cramer sold off his dye equip quite awhile back, and now Ctein is throwing in the towel for good, but still has some leftovers for sale.
    There are maybe a hundred people in the world still doing dye transfer printing, but only three commercially that I'm aware of, including Jim
    Browining (mostly just prints his own works) and Egbert Haneke in Germany, who exposes the matrix film via laser. The redux materials have
    been custom run a number of times. My own matrix film was made by Efke, and I mordant my own paper; but it would be nice just to buy the
    paper. Some of the blanket comments above about the alleged longevity of certain media versus others are too generalized to warrant taking seriously. There are all kinds of variables relative to display and storage conditions, and in the case of media like either dye transfer or inkjet, the actual ingredients are not necessarily standardized. Many inkjet inks actually contain blends of color utilizing dyes which are closely related to certain dyes sometime used in dye transfer printing - they are "pigments" only in the sense of being "lakes" at best. The nonsense of the post above is also apparent because most laser prints are in fact directly onto Fuji CA paper, and exactly the same thing as I currently use in an enlarger. Ciba is close to extinction, but it doesn't do well under UV either - I've got more than my fair share of experience with Ciba. Nothing is forever - even the Sphinx of Egypt is a weathered mess compared to its original quality. But if any of you are interested in taking up dye transfer printing, it's still potentially one of the most beautiful forms of color printing ever invented, and can still be done if you are patient, innovative, and have a fair amount of time and budget, and above all, love darkroom work. I only have time at the present to
    tinker with it off and on, but have learned that the complete process can still be done totally analog, in a well-equipped personal darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I printed Ciba for a while and it's a gorgeous print. Controlling the contrast was a big issue for me. The chemicals were pretty nasty and I was told if I didn't neutralize the chemicals, I'd wreck my pluming. The colors of Ciba seemed liquid to me. What is still approachable to me is RA4 processing. The paper and chemicals are cheap. Dye transfer printing is out of the question. I went to my friends art opening. He had nudes printed from Epson printers and they're beautiful also. I hate to admit that a digital inkjet print looked as good as RA print.
    Aaron Chang

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin