Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,254   Online: 959

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    I have vivid memories talking to the national salesman of Kodak here in Australia about Kodak Portra NC160 in 120 format and having him ask me "Is that product film or paper?".
    Good grief! No wonder they ended up filing a Chapter 11; that is totally unacceptable - the rep is their 1st line of communication, and if they have no idea about what they're selling, what hope do Kodak really think they have????

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    Someone mentioned the 'new' Kodak, where the marketing and sales of film was bought up by the Kodak UK pension-plan. They will be selling to wholesalers and national distribution chains, not delivering stock to customers. This is a foolish and/or incompetent distributors error.
    Steve had it about Kodak delivering old stock, not a wholesaler.

Shooter
    35mm
    AgX, that would be Kodak Australia - the pension-plan didn't buy national distributors, did it?

Thinking back to when I used to work in the industry (in UK), we were a Kodak based lab and it was supplied only through Kodak. We were not allowed to buy Kodak material from other sources, and in return we got a beneficial adjustment in the volume based discount. Did Kodak (old version) ever go to a distribution model involving non-Kodak wholesalers, or did they stay using the national Kodak distribution chains, keeping customers locked-in and controlled?

One of the benefits and economies sought by the pension-plan is the freeing up of the distribution chains for the film and paper products. That will take some time to organise and any material available now will be from the 'old' distribution networks, especially considering that the Chapter-11 deal has only been implemented in the last few weeks even though we have been reading about it for months. It may well be that an 'old' chain distributor has been attempting to reduce old stock before being dumped by the new system . . .
    Last edited by MartinP; 09-01-2013 at 08:23 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Inadvertently posted before I'd finished typing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    ssdd

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    C'mon guys, Kodak is better than this - and we all know it. Can we get a more appropriate thread title?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Last week , I found a kodak express lab from kodak com and I visited the lab , guys one eye blind and other eye crossed and said to me kodak stopped production !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    C'mon guys, Kodak is better than this - and we all know it. Can we get a more appropriate thread title?
    I Love kodak products. I find when I order things from Kodak USA and ship down here its always a great experience, I cant say the same for kodak Australia.
    For example I was able to set up a Kodak USA account easier than I could set up one with Kodak Australia. Kodak in the early days of my business were extremely non supportive. They wanted to know exactly how much money I was worth (none of their business) and only wanted to give me a cash account at list price.

Fuji on the other hand was totally different. They gave me every chemical I needed to tank up each one of my film and paper processors so i could get my equipment up and running free of charge and gave me a 30 day account. It was very supportive to my needs in getting up and running, Ive never had problems and I'm still very loyal to them.

On the other hand I still wanted to use Kodak products and my first order of Kodak when running my own business they send me stale paper where the paper base was not white but cream / yellow. upon telling the sales rep at Kodak this and showing him the problem he asked me..."Will your clients notice if you don't print with borders?" Another thing that has annoyed me with Kodak Australia is times when i have asked for materials for jobs and they have told me they don't have it in stock and while have to wait 6 weeks to arrive, but when i get another individual to order the same thing on another company account (which does spend more) they have it in 3 days. All clients should be treated equal in my opinion.

Im probably not doing myself or my business any favors by sharing this but Kodak in Australia has never impressed me. I love Kodak products but where ever possible I buy from the USA.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh another product whinge about kodak is their rolls of paper the 50" rolls which are cut and packed in china the last 5 meters of the roll get indents in the surface of the material from the texture of the cardboard core that supports the roll while the American cut and packaged product does not have this issue. I wasted many many meters of paper from Kodak Australia because they denied there was an issue and it cost my business a loss in profits. It was only by talking to other pro lab owners about this issue did i discover from a far larger lab that kodak Australia opened up to them and let them know that it was dependent on where the paper was from and the pro lab owner told me next time I order to insist I get sent paper packaged in usa and not china. Since then I have not had the core indent on paper surface issue.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Let's be clear folks, this is the AU Kodak subsidiary who've done this. Let's make sure to not turn one incident (that is indeed unfortunate) into some massive reflection upon the whole. What value is there in dredging up old-stories-of-poor-service/quality/distribution/etc?

I sure hope that the OP contacted Kodak Global to ensure that this local subsidiary adheres with the QC standards that we all know are upheld elsewhere.....I mean Tri-X isn't the worlds best-selling-film-for-nothin?

Threads like this serve no value unless action is taken to ensure this issue is dealt with appropriately...

Proof AU is a subsidiary
    http://print21.com.au/kodak-australi...y-bullet/34589
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Stephen,

This is curiosity , how many film labs remained in Australia , how many rolls of film being sold this year , is there a statistics for that ?
    In Turkey , I have no idea.

Umut

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin