Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,524   Online: 836

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    AgX, that would be Kodak Australia - the pension-plan didn't buy national distributors, did it?
    You are right in that "only" Eastman Kodak USA was in that insolvency. But I assumed KPP would have taken over all still film business world wide. Kodak Australia would be left with rest of US Kodak's Business.
    But who knows...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    I have vivid memories talking to the national salesman of Kodak here in Australia about Kodak Portra NC160 in 120 format and having him ask me "Is that product film or paper?".
    Decades ago I spent a few years working in a small commercial darkroom. When the local Kodak sales rep would stop by he'd sometimes wander in to talk shop for a bit while I was working. As I recall, I could ask him just about any technical question regarding Kodak's products and he invariably knew the answer. Never had to "get back to me." And his answers were always correct.

Heck, he could even talk generic shooting and printing techniques without missing a beat. Always enjoyed his visits. He had a deep reservoir of photographic knowledge. For obvious reasons he sold lots of product too.

Boy have times changed...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Decades ago I spent a few years working in a small commercial darkroom. When the local Kodak sales rep would stop by he'd sometimes wander in to talk shop for a bit while I was working. As I recall, I could ask him just about any technical question regarding Kodak's products and he invariably knew the answer. Never had to "get back to me." And his answers were always correct.
    Those were the days Kodak's sales reps were know as TSRs - technical sales representatives - and really WERE technical. I think that changed in the 1990s IIRC. They became simply 'order takers'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep. That explains it then. My timeframe would have been in the early to mid 1980s. That guy really knew his stuff.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stephen I guess my point is that, as zsas said, this is obviously a Kodak Australia issue specifically. You need to consider how much a threat title and some non reading nobody can result in sensationalist news due to rumors.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Is Kodak Australia an independent entity from Eastman Kodak?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Those were the days Kodak's sales reps were know as TSRs - technical sales representatives - and really WERE technical. I think that changed in the 1990s IIRC. They became simply 'order takers'.
    Ah the days pre 2005! they did used to be good....its changed.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Stephen,

This is curiosity , how many film labs remained in Australia , how many rolls of film being sold this year , is there a statistics for that ?
    In Turkey , I have no idea.

Umut
    I can only vouch for Adelaide, there's 3 commercial labs that i know of:
    Kodak Express do C41, for B+W and E6 they post it to Atkins.
    B+W are independent, they do B+W, C41, and E6.
    Atkins claim to have the only Dip'n'Dunk, and the only Kodak Q-lab, in Adelaide, and they do up to 8x10s. They claim to be the best, they're certainly the most expensive.
    Everywhere else around here that offers 'film processing' just post it to one of these three (mostly to Atkins).

I don't know about the other major cities, there's surely more labs in Sydney and Melbourne? We're only a small capital of maybe 1.5m people, Brisvegas/Perth are maybe 2m, Melbs 3-4m and Sydney 5-6m by now, so there's probably at least 10-20 labs spread amongst them.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Let's be clear folks, this is the AU Kodak subsidiary who've done this. Let's make sure to not turn one incident (that is indeed unfortunate) into some massive reflection upon the whole. What value is there in dredging up old-stories-of-poor-service/quality/distribution/etc?

I sure hope that the OP contacted Kodak Global to ensure that this local subsidiary adheres with the QC standards that we all know are upheld elsewhere.....I mean Tri-X isn't the worlds best-selling-film-for-nothin?

Threads like this serve no value unless action is taken to ensure this issue is dealt with appropriately...

Proof AU is a subsidiary
    http://print21.com.au/kodak-australi...y-bullet/34589
    It is more complex than that.

As far as I am aware, with the exception of commercial movie film, Kodak doesn't sell directly to any retailer or commercial photographer or processing laboratory.

Stephen's problem order wasn't actually filled by Kodak.

Kodak entirely dismantled its distribution network. Replacing that is a network of independent third party distributors who fulfill all wholesale and commercial orders. The distributors vary greatly in their quality and consistency.

The customer service responsibilities seem to be poorly distributed between Kodak employees and employees of Kodak's agents (the distributors).

This is Kodak's problem, and it is far more important than Stephen's problems with one or more problem orders - it is a systemic problem.

Kodak isn't the only one with the problem. Ilford (for example) is also forced to deal through a network of distributors. The difference though is:

1) Ilford has always had distributors in North America and other parts of the world. Kodak used to be its own distributor; and
    2) Far fewer labs use Ilford materials than Kodak materials.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hi Matt, seems that we are saying the same thing? I said the Kodak AU is its own entity (which you are saying is a network of further third parties). So if there is a QC issue in AU, and the OP received apology and resolution from Kodak AU, I advocated that the OP contact Kodak Global, instead of merely posting such issue on an Internet forum. All that does is cause come-out-of-the-wood-work discussions about how "Kodak wronged me too".....

I am saying OP contact Kodak AU (which was done to resolution), and contact Kodak Global re these issues in AU. Then and only then, should one get a cold shoulder, take-it-to-the-net.....

I think we agree this is an issue Kodak Global should be concerned with, regardless if there are 2,3,4 or 10,000 agents between the OP placing his order and the ultimate responsible party....

I really don't care if there are middle-layer folks in the process, Kodak AU and by extension Kodak Global put their name on the box and are ultimately the responsible parties...

Are you saying that since Kodak AU has many layers between them and the customer that they are somehow less responsible? They are responsible for the whole life cycle, regardless if they've more "middle layer" than say Kodak US has?
    Andy

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin